Help-Installation of MS Office via WINE

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ivanchauw, Dec 14, 2008.

1. ivanchauw

ivanchauw

Hi guys,

I have read some articles regarding the installation of MS Office on Linux via WINE. However, I have encountered an error when after entering the CD-Key and the installation failed. Can anybody kindly let me know the correct configuration?

Any other discussion on the installation of WINE will is welcomed.

ivanchauw, Dec 14, 2008
  2. ivanchauw

westonpf

What version of Office are you trying to install?

I think the last version that works with Wine is 2003, I have installed it using Crossover and it installs much in the same way as you would expect it to on windows.

westonpf, Dec 14, 2008
  3. ivanchauw

ivanchauw

First, thanks for your reply.

I'm trying to install office xp. I have also successfully install the same via Crossover (trial version) and purchasing the formal version will be the final step if there is no other choice. However, I really think that spending about USD30 on that software does not make any economic sense given the comparatively low cost of the netbook. :mrgreen:

ivanchauw, Dec 15, 2008
  4. ivanchauw

daldred

One of the things Crossover does really well, and Wine doesn't do so well, is manage the installation process for large MS programs. I think this is what you're finding out!

And the cost of a copy of M$ Office does make economic sense by the same yardstick?

daldred, Dec 15, 2008
  5. ivanchauw

westonpf

WineHQ seems to be indicating that it should run but may need to be patched to run under certain distros.

Take a quick look at WineHQ, they also seem to be saying that Office 2007 now works.

westonpf, Dec 15, 2008
  6. ivanchauw

ivanchauw

100% agree! Actually, I just get a copy of MS Office and just want to find a way to work it out on Aspire One....

ivanchauw, Dec 16, 2008
  7. ivanchauw

twright

If you just install the latest release of wine office should work fine (you should probably used the instructions for Fedora). First, can I just encourage you to look at OpenOffice.org again; I used it for all of my coursework and I found it to be the most excellent productivity suite imaginable :).

twright, Dec 18, 2008
  8. ivanchauw

ivanchauw

I agree that openoffice is great! However, it just distort the formats when i'm working on the files previously made by MS Office and this is a huge problem.

ivanchauw, Dec 19, 2008
  9. ivanchauw

maverick55

Hi

Not sure if anyone can help

I have done everything as another post says regarding installing Wine and it works fine up to when you load the .exe with wine.
    My ISO of Office doesn't appear to have a .exe file in it.

it has a autorun.inf, one file with a .nfo ending and then simply

frontpage2003
    onenote2003
    project2003
    visio2003
    office11

none of which have .exe after them.

I'm lost and any help would be gratefully received.

Ta

maverick55, Dec 27, 2008
  10. ivanchauw

daldred

Is the problem fonts? I find that with the MS fonts installed under Linux, most MS Office documents now transfer into OOo without any distortion.

I think you may need Crossover to install from an .inf file. Is there no setup.exe file anywhere on the CD?

daldred, Dec 27, 2008
Ask a Question