HELP!!! LINUX TO XP Conversion

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by keith, Aug 30, 2008.

1. keith

keith

I bought my AspireOne with Linux OS.
    I would like to convert it to Windows XP.
    Please help me how to go about it.
    Or does anyone know how a URL link for a walkthrough?
    Please help.
    Thank you...

keith, Aug 30, 2008
  2. keith

tomo88

I had A LOT of problems trying to put XP onto my A110 (the Linux 8g SSD + 512 RAM version, mostly likely same one you bought) mainly with setting c: (the SSD) as the boot disc.

If you're experienced or at least good at following instructions try http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4900

Otherwise, I would highly, highly recommend an external optical drive and just install windows like you normally would, setting the USB CDROM as first boot priority in the BIOS (pressing F2 at start up)

I had lots of problems with windows XP itself once I got it installed, namely because of the SSD's slow writing speed.

Search the forums here for "EWF" and "FBWF"; I dunno how you would describe these, but basically they're procedures that turn your SSD drive into a 'protected' drive in that it only reads and rather 'writes' to the RAM. Now my A110 actually can run MSN Live Messenger without crashing, everything is super zippy and I only have the stock 512mb RAM. I'm going to be upgrading to 1.5G to allow for more multitasking given that the stuff is written to the RAM. The only problem with this solution is that things like settings, installations aren't saved and are wiped on reboot; there are however scripts that allow you to 'commit' (save to SSD) everything on shut down, but this makes shutting down a lot slower as it has to save everything. I went into Power settings and made it so that when I close my lid it does nothing, so I don't need to wait for it to completely shutdown and can pack up and goto my next class.

If all this is too much - spend the extra money (unfortunately in Australia, an extra 150) to upgrade to the A150 which was the extra RAM and 120 gig HDD. Being a HDD you could even run Vista on it and it would run fine (given tweaks and such).

tomo88, Aug 30, 2008
Ask a Question