Help! missing boot file

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by sma11s101, Oct 31, 2008.

1. sma11s101

sma11s101

I tried to turn on my Aspire One today and I get an error immediately after the BIOS screen saying hal.dll is missing or corrupt. I have tried to create a bootable removable HDD but it wont boot either Ubuntu or the pendrive linux. There are files on there that I really need and all i want to do is get a live OS running to copy them of and I can replace the hal.dll file or just restore. It doesnt matter i just need those files.

I would appreciate any help!
    Thanks!

sma11s101, Oct 31, 2008
  2. sma11s101

nmesisca

have you searched this forum for your issue?

I think its a misconfigured boot.ini on your windows partition. it is probably referring to either a different disk or a different partition.

search is your friend..

N

nmesisca, Oct 31, 2008
  3. sma11s101

rory

put in the xp restore cd or get one from somewhere, its not hard
    then install and do repair
    solves the prob
    how did this happen anyway?
    if you were installing os x pm me

rory, Oct 31, 2008
  4. sma11s101

sma11s101

At this point I just want to restore the whole OS. Doesn't acer have a key combination to do this from the bios? I can't get into the OS so this is my only option.

sma11s101, Nov 1, 2008
  5. sma11s101

Lipik

hi! I have a same problem - after inserting usb flash in to Acer Aspire One(probably with virus) and after reboot netbook doesn't load WinXp - say's that problem with hall.dll.
    Somebody know how to save information from hard disk? If I press Alt+F10, system offers to restore defaults. Doesd it mean,that hard disk will be formatted? :roll:

Lipik, Nov 3, 2008
  6. sma11s101

solman

solman, Nov 3, 2008
  7. sma11s101

Lipik

Hello!
    I solved my problem this way: download and install to USB flash Umbuktu OS(linux) from here http://www.pendrivelinux.com/, that works from usb flash drive. Load OS from flash. Save my data from Acer One,and then a saw, that in drive C:\ missing several files. That was boot.ini and bootfont.bin. I found thise files in Recicled directory, copied back to root directory and renamed them, the way they should(in Trash bin thay got other names, but extention the same). Restarted computer. After that WinXP started work properly, like before. I believe, it was a virus, that deleted these files to Ricicle bin.
    Good luck to everybody! ;)

Lipik, Nov 4, 2008
Ask a Question