Help needed to get it working again

Discussion in 'Windows' started by phillnjack, Nov 28, 2009.

1. phillnjack

phillnjack

Hello, im very new to these acer aspires, and ive got a very big problem straight away.

Today ive borrowed my daughters acer aspire one , it says model ZG5 on the back.
    (its a white one if thats any help)

My problem is that when i now switch it on it comes up saying.
    windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32 drivers pci.sys

then it goes on to say i can repair with original cd-rom.

well for a start i have not got the cd rom for it or the lead for a cd rom.

I am hoping i dont lose any of my daughters settings or stuff, and would love to get this
    working before she comes to pick it up tommorow.
    I have a USB stick thing here so can transfer something if i need to (i hope) if this is possible.

its running on windows xp (i think it said home edition)

please help a silly old dad who is gonna get a right going over if its broke

phill

phillnjack, Nov 28, 2009
  2. phillnjack

shurcool

Phill,

How did it happen? What was the last thing you did before this problem came up?

In any case, there's a good chance that her personal files should be intact and it should be possible to get Windows working again.

However, you'll probably need someone with a little experience to help you out.

It can be done by booting into some Live linux distribution (like Ubuntu) off a USB flash stick, and manually restoring those missing/corrupt files... If that doesn't make Windows work, then you'd have to just salvage the personal files by copying them and then reinstall the system (or restore to a backup if there is one).

You'd better admit it to her and not try to make things worse, though.

shurcool, Nov 29, 2009
Ask a Question