Help needed to recover Linux Linpus on Netbook?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jaseuk, Jul 21, 2010.

1. jaseuk

jaseuk

Hi Guys,
    1st post here..

I have got a friends netbook which is an Acer Aspire One ZG5 Model AOA 110 which has decided for no reason to stop booting into the OS. He reliably informs me that Linux was installed on it. I did a bit of research with Acer and it would appear that they install Linpus onto these netbooks.

I would just like to say at this point I know very little about Linux OSes

He says that he has photos on the drive that he would like to retrieve. If it was a standard sata ssd or hard drive no problems but it is a ZIF 8GB ssd that is installed in the netbook so connecting it to something to pull off the files is out of the question.

I need to know how to get Linpus back onto the netbook (I assume by USB) and will it repair the installation already on there as I think there must be something wrong with the boot loader file on the original Linpus installation.

Any advice would be great, cheers

jaseuk, Jul 21, 2010
  2. jaseuk

jaseuk

It would appear the NAND flash drive is broken so I have had to order a new one

I was also advised on another forum to install Ubuntu onto the Netbook

jaseuk, Jul 22, 2010
  3. jaseuk

Grim Squeaker

Installation for data recovery is not necessary. Ubuntu - like most Linux distros - can be run from an USB flashdrive without the need to install.

Linpus recovery sadly destroys all data, so would not be recommended - even if the flashdrive was not broken.

Grim Squeaker, Jul 25, 2010
Ask a Question