help: no terminal, no xfce session

Discussion in 'Linux' started by agro-berlin, Apr 22, 2009.

1. agro-berlin

agro-berlin

hi, i made a terrible mistake, that could take some time to be fixed, I fear.
    I uninstalled my xfce-package, by clearing the flag accidently in pirut.
    within the same session, it wouldn't be possible to reinstall or reactivate, the program
    displayed somethign like "packages already installed with a newer version than available".
    When I boot the system I only have the black desktop with the web-search and the bottom-panel.
    alt-f2 doesn't work, so I can't even get a terminal opened.
    so how can I run a XFCE-session again.
    thx for the aid.

agro-berlin, Apr 22, 2009
  2. agro-berlin

HappyHarry

boot to runlevel 3 and run

Code:
    su -c 'yum -y groupinstall xfce'

that should reinstall xfce, but if this will be enough to get linpus working again, who knows?

also it would be advisable to mention in any new posts that you are using linpus and not fedora, though linpus is based on fedora8, acer and linpus have hacked it to being almost unrecognisable and therefore it's not always guaranteed that a fix that would work in fedora will work in linpus :(

phil

HappyHarry, Apr 22, 2009
  3. agro-berlin

drfhm

I just did the same thing , how do i boot to level 3 , what do press .pls help can get onto internet so i got anything i need there from small strip search bar at the top, and all my files are there and load but i need a decktop with icons , one like wndows xp wold be good but as i cant now get to add/remove im totaly stuck .In my case i got de selected xfice so i could get Banshee and gnome to work but now i cant find them either although it did say removed and installed everything ok .

drfhm, May 10, 2009
Ask a Question