Help Please - First post

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by pjtb, Oct 26, 2008.

1. pjtb

pjtb

New to Acer One & Linux

I have just bought my new laptop as I thought it prudent to start to learn Linux.
    I have perform a live update and tried to follow the threads to install Avast.
    Now I cannot access the internet (wireless) as I cannot access the wireless settings.
    This used to be on the Start bar at the bottom of the screen but no longer exists.

What have I done?, do I have to perform a system restore, in which case I will have to purchase a USB drive?
    Cab the Cd be copied onto USB stick?

Lots of questions - sorry as this is my first post - but any help appreciated.

pjtb

pjtb, Oct 26, 2008
  2. pjtb

Blingin2Mingin

Use a pc with a dvd drive and boot the pc from the acer restore disk. There is a create boot usb stick option on there. (You will require a minimum of 2GB on your usb stick)

Blingin2Mingin, Oct 26, 2008
  3. pjtb

pjtb

Thanks for the hasty reply will try - when I find my memory stick!

Regards

pjtb, Oct 26, 2008
  4. pjtb

the100thmonkey

It might be worthwhile to turn on advanced mode, as this will allow you access to the right-click main menu. You will then be able to access a terminal (arguably the most powerful tool in Linux, and central to understanding it as an OS, imo) and access the network settings menus.

On a related note, given Linx's small market share, and the fact that its account structure is inherently more secure than XP (you can't install software without entering your root password), anti-virus software isn't really necessary at this time. This may change in the future, though.

the100thmonkey, Oct 26, 2008
  5. pjtb

pjtb

Thanks - I have followed the threads to get advanced mode up and running and this is more familiar to me, however, the network options do not appear to have the dialog originally found on the bar at the bottom of the screen (tempted to call it a start bar but don't know how this will be taken on the forum), and I am totally lost in terminal. I am sure by reading threads I will become better acquainted with the commands, but as a now 5 hour trainee I want to walk before I can run. I suppose I am looking for a quick fix until I can understand the error of my ways.

Any further guidance would be gratefully received.

Also I appear to have lost all of the icons from the bottom bar including how much charge in the battey etc. What I have now id just settings and help icons (plus a star shape for avast (i assume) cbecause I haven't entered the valifdation code yet!

pjtb, Oct 26, 2008
  6. pjtb

the100thmonkey

Don't worry about the terminal yet :)

Have a look at this thread at LinuxQuestions.org (which, ironically, links back to a thread on this site for the solution! :D) and see if it solves your problem.

If it doesn't work, I'll open my spare AA1 and see if I can find a solution.

the100thmonkey, Oct 26, 2008
  7. pjtb

pjtb

Many thanks for the help - I tried each of the steps and suggestions to no avail. I hadn't only lost the icon but the entire bar at the bottom of the screen.

Anyway followed your earlier advice and restored. Then ran live update which worked and all is restored. I may have caused the issue trying to install 'avast' at the same time. anyway all working now and I am happy:D - so thanks once again.

pjtb, Oct 27, 2008
Ask a Question