Help - Think I screwed up my system.

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by protoculture, Jan 24, 2009.

1. protoculture

protoculture

I tried installing some rpm's...I was looking to install a mysql gui tool. I downloaded some files namely...

libssl.so.6 and similar files. well now my system is pretty screwed. The other files are : libzip.so.1, libssl.so.7, libcrypto.so.6

- Cannot open any applications in the window environment ( including package manager ).
    - Terminal still works
    - mysqladmin does not work - I get - error while loading shared libraries : cannot open sared object file : no such file or directory
    - yum does not open - error while loading shared libraries : libssl.so.6: cannot open sared object file : no such file or directory
    - networking does not even appear to work
    - I noticed that the default acer background is gone and I can see the xfce backgrund.

any suggestions? I dont really want to do a total refresh on the system as I have a lot on it I want to keep.

protoculture, Jan 24, 2009
  2. protoculture

hjongste

Unless you get some bright idea's from others, I am afraid the title of your post is correct. Yes, you screwed up your system. Only sensible solution is do a restore. It will save you time trying endless suggestions from do-gooders. Even if you manage to fix some you don't what else in future might not work. Sorry!

hjongste, Jan 24, 2009
  3. protoculture

sgcheco

Probably the answer is to late, but for futher reference it might be helpful for others.

I got the same problem
    By mistake I added the openssl for f9 and i couldn't oppen any aplication and the message:
    " error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory "
    This is due because f9 no loger uses lissl.so.6 this a f8 library

Solution:
    http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/searc ... ibssl.so.6
    Download the openssl-0.9.8b-17.fc8.i386.rpm
    and then in terminal run
    sudo rpm -i --force openssl-0.9.8b-17.fc8.i386.rpm

sgcheco, Jan 29, 2009
Ask a Question