HELP TOTALLY LOST ALL NETWORK PROGRAMS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by fackinace, Oct 26, 2008.

1. fackinace

fackinace

Hi well ive bricked it some how , i now have no way of connecting to any networks wired or wireless also add/remove programs has dissappeared. So is there a way i can download network manager and reinstall or do i need to do a system restore.

Regards

IAN

fackinace, Oct 26, 2008
  2. fackinace

melhiore

You've lost Network Manager or you just switched off network card by flicking switch in front of the machine??

melhiore, Oct 26, 2008
  3. fackinace

fackinace

Thanks for the reply network manager has been unistalled i think (woops) so basically cantget on the net wored or wireless so just wondering is there summut i can put on a usb pen drive which i can install.

Thanks

Ian

fackinace, Oct 26, 2008
  4. fackinace

fackinace

Thanks for the reply network manager has been unistalled i think (woops) so basically cantget on the net wored or wireless so just wondering is there summut i can put on a usb pen drive which i can install.

Thanks

Ian

fackinace, Oct 26, 2008
  5. fackinace

scottro

Please try

lsmod |grep 8169

and see if you get anything. I know that the modprobe for the wireless is done by some startup scripts, and it's possible the same is true for the wired card. If it's not listed, you can try

sudo modprobe r8169

If you're back at a command prompt, that's good, it means there were no errors. If that's the case, you can try ifconfig eth0 and see if anything shows. If something does, then you can (assuming you connect with something that gives you your address with DHCP)
    sudo dhclient -v eth0

However, trying this on a USB Linpus version (with an already working network) wouldn't let me insert the module till there was a connection to the wired card, though I didnt' investigate thoroughly--it was something like connection denied. So, you might even connect the wired card before trying the modprobe r8169.

Good luck. It's the sort of thing that can be difficult to troubleshoot at a distance.

scottro, Oct 26, 2008
  6. fackinace

fackinace

Ok thanks tried the first two cmd's and nothing turned up when i enter the dhclient -v eth0 i get basically a list of what arguments you can use with the command like -H,-R,-V etc but i still cant get on the net so what do i need to do now and then once i have an ip etc how do i go about getting the network manager back and also the add/remove programs please.

Regards

Ian

fackinace, Oct 26, 2008
  7. fackinace

fackinace

Ah i got it to work i looked at the argumments and tried -lr terminal did come up with a lot of errors though:-
    /sbin/dhclient-script : configuration for eth0 not found. Continuing with default
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network function: line 78: eth0: No Such File
    The it recieved the ip and subnet followed by the errors above again.

So im on the net just tried google and all is fine so i guess i need to installed the installer from terminal but not sure what its called 'was going to google it!!'.

Thanks
    for your help so far.

Ian

fackinace, Oct 26, 2008
  8. fackinace

scottro

That not found for the eth0 might not be serious--that's usually because the dhclient script looks for a file called /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Acer may or may not put that file in though, it's quite modified from Fedora.

The addremove programs is called pirut. However, are you sure it's gone? Have you enabled the advanced mode thing, where you can right click anywhere and view various menus?

Do
    rpm -q pirut

And see if it says it's installed or not. (It will either come back with pirut-<version_number> or say something like package pirut is not installed. )

I'm not sure what happened with that -v--on F9 and F10 it means verbose--it's possible there was a mistype somewhere, but it's not important now.

You could, now that you have your network back, also start with Acer's live update thing, but not having used Linpus in awhile, I'm not sure if that would help or hurt things.

scottro, Oct 26, 2008
  9. fackinace

fackinace

Thanks for all your help i ended up reinstalling it, i could only get an ip if i used terminal i though i had it for a bit but the live update started playing up so i gave up.

Cheers Anyway

Ian

fackinace, Oct 27, 2008
  10. fackinace

scottro

No problem. It was probably the quickest solution once the simple things didn't work.

scottro, Oct 27, 2008
Ask a Question