help with a media player

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jim55, Jan 2, 2009.

1. jim55

jim55

how do i go about using another media player?if i cant get the hang of this linux thing il have to start again wuith windows .any thoughts on both these things.this is my first post here and i found this site through a link somebody sent me cos i posted much the same on another forum .iv always used windows and i cant use this linux ;)

jim55, Jan 2, 2009
  2. jim55

daldred

If you really haven't enough ability to learn to use Linux, then there's a thread here about how to downgrade to Windows XP.

If, on the other hand, you have the ability to learn something slightly new, you can install a fully-featured media player like Amarok, together with all its codecs to play all sorts of files: start a terminal (press Alt-F", type 'terminal' in the box, and click 'run') and then enter the commands given in this post.

Amarok does more than any Windoze based player I've seen, and Linux is a far better operating system. But it's your choice.

daldred, Jan 2, 2009
  3. jim55

jim55

i really dont know enough about linux to comment ,but il have a read ,so u would consider windows a step down ?

jim55, Jan 2, 2009
  4. jim55

daldred

Definitely; but I've been using Linux for a few years and know what it can do. I also use Windows at work, so I'm well aware of both.

You do have to learn a bit about Linux, though; it's not Windows and expecting it to behave the same way isn't going to work.

If you read these forums for a bit, you'll find (for example) people trying to do the Windows thing of downloading software and installing it by double-clicking files. Linux has a software management system which will install things for you without you having to go looking for them. You'll also find people looking for anti-virus software for Linux: there are no active viruses for Linux, so it's simply not necessary - so you don't have to slow your machine down by having everything you do passed through a virus checker. Just a couple of examples....

daldred, Jan 2, 2009
  5. jim55

jim55

thanks for that , ;) as u say the problems arise when u expect it to b ilke windows when its not and thats prob what im doing .i only got this for a bit of mobile browsing but listening to the radio would b handy.il prob get there in the end (i hope).iv just got the basics using windows)only been using a comp in recent yrs ,i suppose you could say tech s passed me by .im 40 worked in a manual job all my life (basically avoided comps as i know very little about them)but iv had to learn the basics and now im starting again with linux .do you have a link for a basic tutorial to read ?i really am starting at the bottom with this :cry: thank for your comments ;)

jim55, Jan 4, 2009
  6. jim55

noobeeJF

Jim55 i can see where your comming from, but Linux is not really that much of step 'up' or 'down' from Windows, just think of it as a sideways step for the time being, things being done just that little bit different, whilst i wouldnt call myself a PC pro, im pretty confident and comfortable using Windows based machines and getting hold of the AAO recently caused me to look at it in slightly differnt ways.

i would recomend a real good read thru these here frums cos most of your converns have been raised, but i would take these steps as the very basic minimum:
    1) Enable 'Advanced' desktop- this basically means you can install/ tweak the Acer to a bit more what you might want out of it, ie Add/remove programmes etc. its really quite simple and if you enter 'advance desktop' into the search box above the fairly simple steps to get there explained quite easily.
    2) have a look throught the add/remove programmes section once advanced mode is done, unlike Windows where we had to go hunting for software and downloading-installing etc, Linux (generally) makes this a lot smoother, applications being stored in 'Repositories' where a simple search for what you looking for and clicking a tick box enables the installation to take place 'under the bonnet' so to speak. quit easy and painless i have found
    thirdly, if you are UK based, the BBC iPlayer works fine on my machine without any problems if your after their media output and thru the Firefox web browser.

hope above points you the right way, dont give up on Linux just yet, im finding it all fascinating at the mo.

noobeeJF, Jan 4, 2009
  7. jim55

jim55

im not wanting to give up ,its just basic stuff i want to b able to do.for example u mention "enable advance desktop"ehh,,,,? i dont rven know how to do this .is it one of the dektop icons/logos i click on for this ?this is the page i see when i first start the comp
    [​IMG]
    can this b changed then ?you know "use as desktop background "kinda thing. il read through here but there seems to b so much ,any pointers on what to read/learn?im trying to google a linux beginers guide but really dont know what to look for :roll:

jim55, Jan 4, 2009
  8. jim55

noobeeJF

Jim, try this

Press Alt+f2

Type Xterm (click on 'run') this opens up the 'Terminal'

then enter the code below exactly as typed:
    Code:
    xfce-setting-show
    Click on Desktop to get to the Desktop Preferencs and choose the 'Behaviour' tab.

Now mark under Menus the Show desktop menu on right click option and close the window.

This setting will allow you to bring up the normal desktop menu when you right click somewhere on the desktop.
    The Desktop Menu contains much more options than the limited user interface on the Aspire One.

Under System you will find Add/Remove Software

this doesnt change the desktop appearance as such, just enables you to open up the machine a bit more to access some important features.

noobeeJF, Jan 4, 2009
  9. jim55

woodland

on-topic

check out this link: http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/11/inst ... linux.html
    it tells you how to install VLC... you might now the windows version (it's exactly the same)

slightly off-topic
    Don't give up on Linpus. i have to admit it takes some time to get used to it but i guarantee you it's worth the effort.
    i don't know which AA1 you have but if you have my version (see my signature) you're better off sticking with Linux up/downgrading ;) to WinXP will only give you a ton of issues to deal with...

Check out this forum, it has a great Search feature, and you will find that most of your questions are already answered. Especially in the Linux section ( my apologies to the MS Win ppl) there are a lot of helpful people who will answer your specific questions and or problems.
    With the help of this forum and it's members i tamed my Linpus AA1, i'm almost in full control of it now ..... and i'm only 2 weeks ahead of you (bit of bragging involved here but i hope you get the picture)

Enjoy your AA1

woodland, Jan 4, 2009
  10. jim55

jim55

all get is this
    [​IMG]
    and cant get past this stage ,what am i doing wrong

jim55, Jan 4, 2009
  11. jim55

noobeeJF

hmmm.. well another way to get to the Terminal is:

under the 'Files' section, click on 'My Files' then on the 'File; menu top right, half way down the drop-down is Terminal, click that then enter the
    xfce-setting-show
    then carry on to get the right-click desktop

noobeeJF, Jan 4, 2009
  12. jim55

woodland

Jim.. an understandable mistake but here you can just type: xterm ... forget about the capital X

i'm used to using terminal basically the same thing but for an windows user it's easier and more recognizable

Alt F2
    type: terminal
    click: run

woodland, Jan 4, 2009
  13. jim55

jim55

i can now get acess to the "terminal"(sounds like a tom hanks movie) and then i inputted the "xfce-setting -show ,but where do i go from here?im drawing a blank on this :oops: this is what im getting -look ok ?
    [​IMG]

jim55, Jan 4, 2009
  14. jim55

noobeeJF

thats the one Jim, now you should get the box that has icons on?? click on the desktop one (top left) and click the box under 'Behavior' to enable right clicking

noobeeJF, Jan 4, 2009
  15. jim55

woodland

i'm afraid you made another typo: it's:

xfce-settings-show

no blanks between - and words

you could copy and paste this....(think and be lazy that's what you got a computer for)

woodland, Jan 4, 2009
  16. jim55

jim55

right guys ,iv got this now when i enter that term (copied and pasted btw so no typos) ,i cant see a next /launch tab or anything like it .whats next (you can see the problem here eh :roll: )
    [​IMG]

jim55, Jan 4, 2009
  17. jim55

noobeeJF

looks good... now hit enter lol

noobeeJF, Jan 4, 2009
  18. jim55

woodland

oops forgot to mention;

Hit the Enter-key to execute the command.

lol just a little 2 late thx for covering for me noobeeJF

woodland, Jan 4, 2009
  19. jim55

noobeeJF

no probs woodland... we'll get this right click sorted between us one way or other lol :mrgreen:

noobeeJF, Jan 4, 2009
  20. jim55

jim55

when i hit enter it just does this
    [​IMG]
    eh??? what am i doing wrong ?

jim55, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question