Help with an Ext HDD

Discussion in 'Linux' started by oldskooladdict, Sep 22, 2008.

1. oldskooladdict

oldskooladdict

Right, I should point out the issue here is the drive, to my knowledge anyway.

External HDD 1 - NTFS formatted, works fine - plug it in, can read and write fine to it, eject it and its all sorted.

External HDD 2 - NTFS formatted, doesnt work! - I can only read on the drive, no writing is possible.

In Win XP I have formatted the drive, it still didn't work, I deleted the partition, created a new one, still didn't work.

The drive works fine in XP, but not in Linux - SO... what am I doing wrong? - NTFS drives DO seem to work, but this one does NOT but it DOES work in XP!

(It's a Seagate FreeAgent Go, 120gb)

oldskooladdict, Sep 22, 2008
  2. oldskooladdict

Daymo

I also have the Seagate freeagent. I just tried it when I read your post and yep, it has the same problem.

It does work with Ubuntu, as I have it running on a desktop system and it works with that (I think) so I'm guessing it's something to do with Linpus.

I remember kicking myself just after I bought it as I read that it wasn't fully compatible with linux - something in the power management of the drive caused it to shut down in use.

If you have a windows machine to play with you could try formatting it to fat32 using Seagate disk wizard. Note I haven't tried this as I have essential data on the drive.

Daymo, Sep 28, 2008
  3. oldskooladdict

tot31

Ask a Question