HELP with new apire one messenger

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by toms789, Dec 27, 2008.

1. toms789

toms789

Hello, i got an aspire one for Christmas and i am having trouble using the messenger program

When i try to sign into messenger i get an error saying that our protocol is not supported. I am trying to log into my msn account.

i have run live messenger and installed all the updates.

I have tried installing another program like amsn but have not got a clue how to install other programs and tried following how to guides but to no avail.

I understand this may have been asked before but i have been searching all over the internet trying to find a how to guide. And i am sick of looking lol.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Merry christmas and happy new year

Toms789

toms789, Dec 27, 2008
  2. toms789

Photomonk

Try a complete uninstall of Windows Live Messenger, then restart your computer. After it comes up completely redownload the program and try it from there.

Before I installed Windows Live Messenger, I went into the Windows Program default, and on Add or Remove Windows Components (left side) unticked MSN Messenger and then OK for it to be uninstalled. Then I downloaded and installed Windows Live Messenger. You may be having a conflict between the two different versions of Messenger.

I hope this helps.

Photomonk, Dec 28, 2008
  3. toms789

yachtpro

I still have the old 4.4 version on the machine. It came preloaded but was insisting on a mandatory update. Google "Messenger 8.5" download and install. The newer versions have taken out the upload/download file sharing so stay with this version. It didn't overload the old version as I thought it would, but I can't find the old version in add and remove programs to uninstall it. The newer versions require .net framework and thus are called Windows LIVE messenger, version 8.5 included. Any ideas as to how safe it would be to uninstall the old 4.4 version without hurting the newer (and working GREAT) version?? And where the @#$!%! is the old version to be found so it CAN be uninstalled?

yachtpro, Dec 28, 2008
  4. toms789

Photomonk

Got to Start, then on the right side of the Start menu go to "Set Program Access and Defaults". From there go to "Add/Remove Windows Components". From there untick Windows Messenger, then next. It will then unistall the program. After that hit finish, then OK, then restart your computer. Then go and install the new Messenger program. The new Messenger program should then have no conflicts with the previous version. This is the way Microsoft likes to have their components added and unistalled.

Photomonk, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question