Help!! XFCE has disapp - what can I do?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Fuerst, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Fuerst

Fuerst

Last night I thought I had finally succeeded and at least parts of the xfdesktop installed. I had switch für switching between th awful Linpus aspire one desktop and regular desktop in task bar. and it worke.
    Now, when I switched the machine on, the desktop remains black, taskbar has disappeared an I only have the button for shutting nettop down available.

to put it mildly, my aspire one seems to be f...d and I don't know how to revive it.

I guess, this was my last effort with Linux.

or has anybody an Idea how I could revive without CD-recovery - meaning losing all my newly installed things and many hours of work on it?

Fuerst, Oct 1, 2008
  2. Fuerst

Fuerst

Re: Help!! my desktop is black. how I hate Linpus

May be this will inspire readers of this message:

My touchpad is still working and the search-line shows on the otherwise black desktop, but I can't call up ALT + F2

ist there any way to ghet back to linpus BEFORE the changes made yesterday? as it looks now, I might as well format the bl... thing, if I only knew how.....

cheers

Fuerst, Oct 1, 2008
  3. Fuerst

Andysan

Fuerst,

You should have a recovery CD in your AAO box - boot that in another PC and follow the instructions carefully to make a bootable USB rescue disk, or i think if you have a USB-CD drive you can do it directly. Alternatively, Mandriva 2009 RC2 and Ubuntu seem to work OK as alternatives.

Let me know how it goes and if you need any help.

Andysan, Oct 1, 2008
  4. Fuerst

Fuerst

Hi Andysan, may be you could help. I have been able through the desktop search get into firefox. unfortunately not yet into terminal or the command line ALT + F2.

when I click on the "home" button in left bottom corner I get the warning:

could not run command xfdesktop2 - go home:
    failed to execute child process xfdesktop2 (no such file or directory)to get into

Any idea how I could reset to get at least back to the state before those changes (any restore command or so?

thanks so much
    Christian

Fuerst, Oct 1, 2008
  5. Fuerst

Fuerst

Hello everyone. I am now able to get into Terminal.

any idea how to restore linpus desktop????????

please help!

Fuerst, Oct 2, 2008
  6. Fuerst

Andysan

I'm sorry Fuerst - I don't hold out allot of hope - if you installed the desktop switch then I'd say that probably the end of the line - if you just jigged some files around manually try jigging them back?

Andysan, Oct 2, 2008
  7. Fuerst

Fuerst

Hello Andysan,

is there no way to unistall desktopswitch? as mentioned before, I can access the terminal now through the filemanager which I installed

cheers
    CF

Fuerst, Oct 2, 2008
  8. Fuerst

RockDoctor

You might try
    Code:
    sudo rpm -e aa1_desktop-switch
    It'll remove desktop-switch; not sure if it'll restore everything to its previous state

RockDoctor, Oct 2, 2008
  9. Fuerst

stephenkinsella

Hi, I've had the same experience, installed something (kile & tetex) and now a blank screen, with a search bar and a terminal. Quite stressed about this. Tried the sudo rpm command to no avail. Any more suggestions?

stephenkinsella, Oct 17, 2008
  10. Fuerst

rbil

Here's a suggestion for everyone trying to extend these Netbooks to be more than they were designed to be ... Have a backup of your CURRENT working system before pressing on with new tweaks or mods.

Cheers.

rbil, Oct 18, 2008
  11. Fuerst

rogermc

Hi F,
    Did you resolve your problem? I have the same error message...and lost desktop. Any help would be great.
    Cheers,
    Rog

rogermc, Feb 1, 2009
  12. Fuerst

karlstarz

I dont know if this is helpful to anyone but my daughter AAO got a black screen last night and I used the recovery disk directly from usb dvd drive - this gave me the welcome screens and programmes back and appears to have recovered her system to the state immediately before the black screen NOT factory default.

I needed to reset up internet BUT - the right touchpad and right usb mouse buttons do not work on home page icons. Cant presently get around this any advice on this.

Daughters system is 1GB, 160 GB HDD, Linux version.

thanks

Karl

karlstarz, Mar 1, 2009
  13. Fuerst

barrie

Hi

It seems to me from personal experience and reading through many threads on the forum that the 8Gb and 160Gb models possibly also locations react very differently to the Acer recovery disk. My 8GB model went back to factory settings as new out of the box condition.

Maybe now you have successfully run the rescue CD try it again and see if this time you get back to new condition, just a thought.

barrie, Mar 15, 2009
  14. Fuerst

holywoodmum

I have just had this black desktop too, and then it has changed to greyed out view of normal linpus desktop. I can get firefox through search, and I can use Alt+F2 to bring up a terminal, Home icon works to return me to my greyed out desktop.
    I had just tried to add a desktop icon for trash through xfce4 stetings, so am no going to remove that line and see if it makes any difference, although I don't hold out much hope. I'd finally only just got everything how I wanted it too, and now looks like it'll be back to the start - grrr
    Any advice please! I don't know how to make a recovery disk of my current settings could someone explain that or point me in the right direction - not that I want to save the settings that don't work, but at least I could get it right next time round...

holywoodmum, Apr 11, 2009
  15. Fuerst

holywoodmum

OK removing the line trying to add a Trash icon to Files in desktop has restored things for me. Why should this be? Why can I not have Trash? If i try to access Trash through Thunar > Go > Trash, it closes. what do i do?

holywoodmum, Apr 11, 2009
  16. Fuerst

barrie

Hi holywoodmum,

To make a recovery USB stick that will restore your box to as with all your mods and added applications have a look here, again when I made this I used an 8GB stick.

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... ackup.html

You will find that your screen goes black during the backup process re inactivity, just push the power button and you will be back in the terminal, it took about 20 -25 mins to complete. ;)

barrie, Apr 11, 2009
  17. Fuerst

holywoodmum

ah, cheers for that!! will have to invest in a heftier USB stick!

holywoodmum, Apr 12, 2009
Ask a Question