HFS+ is there a way?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dregis, Jan 7, 2009.

1. dregis

dregis

hey there....any updates/patch RPM..Tricks whatever...I'm trying to mount HFS+ DVD from USB drive on aspire one...I think I tried pretty much everything....let me know ...

thanks for everything!

dregis, Jan 7, 2009
  2. dregis

eastpender

I'm trying to figure that out myself right now. I have and HFS+ formatted ipod that I am using as a removable disk, and it would be handy to have the AA1 able to mount it. So far I have tried installing hfsplusutils, but this does not seem to enable the system to mount HFS+. Apparently HFS+ capability has to be enabled in the Linux kernel. I'm going to keep at it, I'll let you know if/when I have a successful procedure for enabling it.

eastpender, Jan 8, 2009
  3. dregis

eastpender

So, here's where it stands:
    - to get hfs+ capabilities in a linux system, the kernel has to be compiled with an hfs+ patch applied to it
    - although there are lots of instructions available about how to do this, I am using my AA1 for work, andc I can't afford the downtime (and possibly breaking other things and having to find ways of fixing them again, etc)
    - it appears that, even if you patch and compile your own kernel, some or all hfs+ file systems are mounted as read-only. This may be useful for some things, but doesn't make sense for me

So, I'm going to continue to rely on FTP, Samba, and am going to try to get Bluetooth file sharing working between my Mac and the AA1.

eastpender, Jan 28, 2009
Ask a Question