Hibernation- and now Windows Startup Problems

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Cusem, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Cusem

Cusem

Hey all,

I've got an Acer Aspire One 150B, with the original supplied Windows XP still running on it. I've updated to all latest drivers and BIOS (3308 I guess).

At first, every 1 out of 5 times, hibernation would freeze at the blue screen where it says "Preparing for hibernation" (or something like that). I've searched the forums already although I did not find a clear answer. Only something that it had to do with hiberfil.sys file or something like that. My girlfriend has exactly the same AA1, but did not update drivers or BIOS. She experiences the freezing while hibernating much more frequent as I do (1 out of 2 times).
    This isn't my biggest annoyance anymore. But if anybody has a solution to this problem, it's more than welcome ;)

2 months ago I upgraded the RAM to 1.5GB by replacing the 512MB DDR2 module with a 1024MB DDR2 (Corsair Valueselect 667mhz DDR2). Everything runs fine and much smoother, especially while multitasking.

What I do notice is since 1 month (so the first month after the RAM upgrade everything ran fine) Windows fails to boot every 1 out of 2 times. I usually never shutdown the AA1, but let it hibernate, but every now and then the hibernation fails/freezes so I'm forced to reboot.
    Now with the farmiliar WINDOWS XP booting screen (with the moving bar below it), every 1 out of 2 times the bar stops moving and nothing happens anymore. I power down, try again, same thing. Sometimes it will boot after a power down, but usually I need to boot into safe mode (which always works), shutdown laptop and boot it up. Usually that works.

I've already run numerous virus/spyware scans, so I guess the system is clean.
    I looked in the system event log and the only error I can find is a DCOM error with no clear solution in the Windows HELP.

How would you guys advice me to tackle this problem? Is there a log I can investigate or something?

Cusem, Jan 16, 2009
  2. Cusem

goofball

have you disabled and re-enabled hibernation? that should delete and rebuild the hiberfil.sys file. that file is on your C:\ root so check to see if it is deleted once you disable.
    Otherwise, have you run any memtest?

goofball, Jan 16, 2009
  3. Cusem

LAZ

LAZ, Jan 21, 2009
  4. Cusem

jackluo923

Try turning off all non-essential hardware and see if your problem is fixed. Then enable the disabled hardware one by one and see which one is having a hardware compatibility issue.

jackluo923, Jan 21, 2009
Ask a Question