Hibernation won't execute

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jackdashack, Jul 13, 2009.

1. jackdashack

jackdashack

I've asked here before with no success, several months ago. So again it bugs me, why won't my Acer go into Hibernation when I have it on the setting to do so? It used to activate at one time. I had to do one factory recovery and since that time it won't hibernate. (if that even in fact does conincide; I have not a clue) I have clicked on the Hibernate Tab in the power settings and checked the box to allow hibernation. Does anyone have a clue? Thanks, jack

jackdashack, Jul 13, 2009
  2. jackdashack

DutchDK

Check that the swap partition size is equal to or greater than the amount of installed ram.
    I.E. if you have the default 512 Mb ram (A110) or 1024 Mb ram (A150), that the swap partition is at least 512 Mb or 1024 Mb.
    If you have upgraded your AAO to the 1.5 Gb of ram possible (2 Gb on the D series), your swap partition must be at least 2 Gb for hibernation to work.

DutchDK, Jul 13, 2009
  3. jackdashack

jackdashack

My RAM is listed as .98G

My Initial Virtual is listed as 1512MB
    and the Maxium as 3024MB

where is the fault in this? Thanks again!

4. jackdashack

DutchDK

Ahh.. you're talking abóut Windows XP ? XP doesn't use the swapfile for hibernation, but creates a hibernation file at the size of physical installed ram, when enabling hibernation. Check on the C-drive that you have a hidden system file by the name of hiberfil.sys. It must be a consecutive none-fragmented file. Try to disable hibernation in the powersettings, reboot, defragment, and renable hibernation in the powersettings.

DutchDK, Jul 13, 2009
  5. jackdashack

jackdashack

I searched using the "search hidden files" option and this file did not turn up. I will however, uncheck allow hibernation, defragment anyway, and reboot and see what happens. You have been generous in your help. I know at one time this acer would hibernate. Thanks

6. jackdashack

jackdashack

Nope, after unchecking allow hibernation, defrag, reboot, recheck allow hibernation, use a profile that ends up hibernating after a few minutes and even another reboot no luck. Guess I'll live with it and just use the old (Fn+F4) deal. Thanks! jack

jackdashack, Jul 14, 2009
Ask a Question