Hibernation working with iAtkos install?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by robo, Feb 4, 2009.

1. robo

robo

So i had 10.5.6/voodoo installed using iATKOS v5 as per SbM's instructions here, and it was working great, but I wanted to try having hibernation ability.

Following the instructions here ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... id=1058533 ) I installed SmartSleep, set it to hibernate only (i believe this just performs a 'pmset hibernatemode 1' command), turned of secure virtual memory, and also deleted the three 'donotsleep' (insomniax) files that prevented sleep before (the kext, shell script, and launchdaemon)..

Unfortunately, all that happens now when I tell the computer to sleep is that the screen goes black and it hangs..

Is there some step that i'm missing? Is there some difference between the iATKOS build and the iPC build that the guys at InsanelyMac are using, that is preventing this from working?

Any ideas appreciated!

-Robin

robo, Feb 4, 2009
  2. robo

rory

So people have sleep working on the aspire one over at insanelymac.com?

rory, Feb 4, 2009
  3. robo

robo

Yes, although to be precise, it's hibernation, not normal sleep. Basically, the contents of RAM get written to the /private/var/vm/sleepimage file, and the computer the shuts off. It's slower than normal sleep/wake, but on the other hand the computer consumes no power while in hibernation.

robo, Feb 5, 2009
  4. robo

ahovis

Same problem here. I am also using the iAtkos 10.5.5 build (now on 10.5.6) but do not see any of the insomniax files at all however my system will not sleep when the lid is closed. I think somewhere I read that the build was using something else beside insomniax to keep it from trying to sleep but I can not remember what. What ever it is I assume it is keeping the system from hibernating but not sure. I also get a crash if I force it to sleep (hybernate). It would be helpful to have hibernation working if possible.

ahovis, Feb 5, 2009
  5. robo

robo

Are you sure the Insomniax files aren't on your system, ahovis?

I had to do some digging to find out where they were. They are:

/private/etc/.cuploader/donotsleep.sh
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.engelby.donotsleep.plist
    /Library/Application Support/Insomnia/ (and all the stuff within)

robo

robo, Feb 5, 2009
  6. robo

stonerolling

I have the same problem.

stonerolling, Feb 6, 2009
  7. robo

robo

Same problem, as in, you deleted the three files posted above and the computer still keeps running when the lid is closed?

robo, Feb 6, 2009
  8. robo

Kopsis

I think I remember one of these install guides suggesting deletion of Clamshell.kext as an alternative to InsomniaX. If you did that, you'll need to put it back.

Kopsis, Feb 6, 2009
  9. robo

ahovis

Yep, you were right. I added the clamshell.kext and it was back to trying to sleep (hibernate) when I shut the lid but still got the same screen goes dark, fan goes off, then back on and black screen crash. When I force a restart I get the "sleep image has garbage" "hibernate failed" messages as before. I have deleted the sleepimage file but does not help. I have made the changes described above but no joy. If anyone has any more ideas it would be great to get this working. Maybe robo can give us some detail on his install that could be of help.

ahovis, Feb 6, 2009
  10. robo

robo

Actually, ahovis, what you describe is exactly what I'm getting after removing the InsomniaX files, re-adding Clamshell.kext, and setting sleep mode to hibernate only (pmset hibernatemode 1, or 'hibernate only' with the SmartSleep prefpane).

There must be something else different about the iATKOS install, but i don't know what it is.

robo, Feb 6, 2009
Ask a Question