Hidden SSID & Windows 7. Driver issue?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by setec, Jan 25, 2009.

1. setec

setec

System: Acer Aspire One ZG5 (1GB / 160GB) running dual boot XP Pro & Windows 7 Build 7000.

I installed the drivers listed in this post: (Atheros Wireless Driver v7.6.1.194 (LED blinks!))
    viewtopic.php?f=80&t=10036

for my wireless. If I turn off my SSID broadcast (which is the way it is setup at my work & I have no control over that), it disconnects within 1 to 5 minutes and won't reconnect, even on reboot. Also, while attempting to install Office 2007 over the wireless network from a shared DVD on a PC, it had issues finding files. It then rebooted on me once during that. I don't know why I even bothered with 802.11g for the install. I plugged in ethernet and it installed fine over the network.

Anyway, has anyone else experiences issues with the hidden SSID and/or reboots when copies large numbers of files?

Should I try another driver? The driver that Windows 7 installed, which did work for WIFI, did not have the led blinking though.

Thanks in advance.

setec, Jan 25, 2009
  2. setec

moondevil

There is a known problem with al Antivirus at the moment and Window 7 with wireless. The transfer of files over wireless is causing BSOD and reboots, due to a memory addressing problem (they think!) in the AV engines. Did you have AV installed?

AS far as .194 river goes, I downgraded to the .184 driver again as I also had hidden SSID problems, but guess what? The LED still blinks! It appears installing .194 is a one time fix! No problems with hidden SSID on .184 so far, but will update later today as my office has a hidden network. :D

moondevil, Jan 26, 2009
  3. setec

setec

Ha! I did have AVG installed. I'll remove and give it a try.

setec, Jan 27, 2009
  4. setec

bolero

This has nothing to do with AV. (*) There is a clear problem with transferring larger files over wifi either with Win7 or the Atheros drivers. Try setting the Atheros card to 11b only. That fixed it for me. As the speed with 11g is lousy, anyway, with the AA1 (at least here) this downgrade doesn't matter too much.

(*) Of course, AV may add to the problem, but rather when it hooks into IE and Internet transfers.

bolero, Feb 28, 2009
Ask a Question