Hitachi 1.8" HDD Zif cable

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Zippo, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Zippo

Zippo

I got a 30 gb Hitachi hard disk drive coming from a broken ipod.
    I'm planning to replace the super-slow SSD of my one with this HDD. I already disassembled the one to put the RAM bank, so I'm familiar with it.

I read Hitachi 1.8" HDD need a "flip cable", can someone please post a picture of it? Are they known with some other name?

And, how do I insert the cable in the ZIF connector? I mean, what face is the right one to be inserted in what direction?

Sorry if the questions sound dumb, I'm totally ignorant in 1.8" drives.
    Thanks in advance

Zippo, Aug 29, 2008
  2. Zippo

PGH_One_User

PGH_One_User, Aug 29, 2008
  3. Zippo

jimduchek

Check out parts # 538-21020-0431 (Toshiba/stock) and 538-21020-0432 (Hitachi) at mouser.com (the molex part #'s are the same, minus the initial 53:cool:. Those are 4 inch (stock is 2 I believe?). Check the datasheet for other p/ns for different lengths, although some others are very difficult to find in the Hitachi ('flip') orientation. For example I know Digikey stocks no 'flip' cables, although you can get several lengths of the regular. I'm sure other companies make these too -- I recall seeing another one at Digikey but they didn't have any of the 'flip' ones in stock. You want flat-flex cable, .5mm pitch, 40 traces.

jimduchek, Aug 29, 2008
  4. Zippo

Zippo

Thank you so much guys, I found them on ebay directly from Hong Kong.
    What is not clear yet is how I should to insert the flip cable into the hard disk connector. I mean I can't tell what is the right side of the cable.
    A picture would be great...

thanks

Zippo, Aug 29, 2008
  5. Zippo

jimduchek

It will become quite clear when you see the cables. On the 'stock' cable, the contacts (on both ends) are on the same side of the cable. On the 'flip' cable, the contacts are on opposite sides of the cable. The contacts always go 'down' (towards the PCB) when inserted into the ZIF socket.

Take a look at this page:

[urlhttp://umpcinside.com/zbxe/?mid=comFree&page=6&sort_index=regdate&order_type=desc&document_srl=8120][/url]

The pic shows a standard cable in the socket, and a flipped cable sitting outside of it.

Jim

jimduchek, Aug 30, 2008
  6. Zippo

Zippo

thanks Jim, it's all clear now ;)

Zippo, Aug 30, 2008
  7. Zippo

matteosg

Hi Zippo,

Could you point me to the vendor's website, i need the reverse flip cable too...Thanks

Matt

matteosg, Sep 6, 2008
Ask a Question