Home Inventory Data Base Software

Discussion in 'Windows' started by TMA, Apr 1, 2009.

1. TMA

TMA

Greetings:

I am looking for recommendations for light weight database freeware for use around the home. I would like to be able to use my A1 as a portable terminal on our WiFi network to gain access to the database files which could be stored on my main computer system.

So fare any database software package I have looked at seems huge with a major undertaking needed to get it going. I do not have MicroSoft Office and I have not had much luck with the Open Office "Base" package.

I wonder if anyone here that is doing something similar has any recommendations?

TMA, Apr 1, 2009
  2. TMA

goofball

database for what purpose? I mean, is it something that spreadsheet software could handle?

goofball, Apr 2, 2009
  3. TMA

TMA

I actually have been using the Open Office "Calc" spreadsheet. There is about 2000 items I wish to inventory. The size of the file is less than 100 KB. It is just text and it seems a spreadsheet program with all its math power is somewhat of a poor fit. I like the idea of being able to have entry forms and reports which are easy to make with the wizards associated with data base software. Starting up the whole Open Office suite to handle a simple inventory seems slow and awkward but maybe that is in fact the easiest solution.

There were, in the early days of micro-computing, small data base programs available. Now everything I have looked at so far is huge. The install files for a so called lightweight, freeware database server is a 500 MB download.

Have all the small database applications been integrated into office suites? I wish for a stand alone, freeware database application with nice GUI front end designed to run under XP.

TMA, Apr 2, 2009
  4. TMA

jackluo923

google doc?

jackluo923, Apr 2, 2009
  5. TMA

Guest Guest

Open Office has a database program openbase, you might try it, I used it for a simple database and it had a wizard to set it up with. With the wizard I dont think it was any harder to setup then a spreadsheet

Guest, Apr 3, 2009
  6. TMA

Forone

MS Works that came installed on the One has a database with a home inventory template. No experience using it. Files apparently can be converted to MS Access.

Forone, Apr 3, 2009
Ask a Question