Home made auxilliary battery question

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by amber19, Nov 24, 2009.

1. amber19

amber19

hi guys, i'm confused.
    Power wise everything operates to specs on my pretty new AAO.
    However, the internal battery (the 2.5hr one) is 12.5 DC volts yet the ac power
    supply is 19 DC volts. Will someone please explain this.
    When i plug in my little home made 19 volt DC battery pack into the external
    power jack I believe the puter is still operating on the internal 12 volt DC battery AND
    the battery lamp blinks? I see no voltage drop accross my little battery pack.
    Maybe if i remove the 12.5 volt battery it will work? I haven't done this
    because i'm afraid of the unknowns here and need some answers before I
    mess up my pretty new puter.
    Thanks for any help
    Amber

amber19, Nov 24, 2009
  2. amber19

shurcool

If your external battery works, you should see the power LED light up as if the netbook is plugged in.

How close is the voltage on your battery to that of the power adapter?

shurcool, Nov 24, 2009
  3. amber19

amber19

Yes, power lamp at upper right lights, but the battery lamp front left blinks and dosen't
    when operating normaly. My lil battery pack is 20.5 volts, but I wish I knew how much
    over voltage was safe. I would hope for 300 smackers over voltage protection was built
    into the thing. I can see no reason why this battery pack wouldn't work since its quite
    common to convert 12VDC from an auto battery to 19VDC and plug it into the same power
    jack the external supply plugs into. That power supply that comes with the puter does
    alot for its size and never gets hot, powers puter AND charges the internal battery at
    same time.
    Amber

amber19, Nov 25, 2009
  4. amber19

7dwarfs

Is your plug the right one ? I guess, the current doesn't flow in your case.

7dwarfs, Nov 26, 2009
  5. amber19

amber19

Must say I'm surprised this question is going no where here.
    Oh well, live and learn they say..............
    adios
    Amber

amber19, Nov 26, 2009
  6. amber19

gl73

Have you checked the voltage when the aux battery pack is plugged to the computer. While charging, 2-3 amps at 19 volts is pretty common which would explain why your aux battery can't keep the voltage if the amperage rating isn't enough...

gl73, Dec 2, 2009
  7. amber19

amber19

I removed the ((TEN VOLT)) internal battery.
    Plugged in my battery pack, voltage read ((NINETEEN VOLTS DC)).
    With START BUTTON pushed voltage dropped .5 volts to 18.5 volts DC.
    In my opinion this puter should have fired up but didn't. Unfortunately
    my questions regarding the voltages used in this puter and WHY they are used
    are not well understood. Like why is the internal battery ((TEN VOLTS DC))
    and the AC to DC power supply is ((NINETEEN VOLTS DC)). That deserves
    somekind of explanation, as does the "why dosen't it like my
    ((NINETEEN VOLT DC)) battery pack. I should have made some attempt
    to contact Acer directly, maybe now I will. Once again, I consider this an
    excellent product for what it is.
    Amber

amber19, Dec 2, 2009
  8. amber19

gl73

The voltage into the unit has to be higher than the voltage of the battery to charge it. Charging for the lithium battery needs at least 14 volts as a typical lithium cell is 4.1 volts at full charge, 12.4 volts for three cells in series. The 18 volts can easily charge and power the net-book without needing too much amperage.

If you are trying to hook up your 18 volt battery directly to the 3 cell lithium battery connector, which I am not sure you're doing, it won't work. There are I think 4 leads to the battery which there is also some components in the battery for charging and to ensure the net-book has the correct battery for it. I think all laptops/net-books have this circuitry in their batteries for charging and communication. Even my PSP has an ID number the battery has to give for it to work right.

If you are using your 18 volt battery into the charging connector where the AC adapter usually goes, then I am not sure why it isn't working. I've used an HP 12v to 18v car adapter on my AA1 without any problems...

gl73, Dec 13, 2009
  9. amber19

Rich in ILM

My guess is your battery pack is not within voltae range of the computer's parameters (under load).
    I use a non Acer supply quite often and it works fine. Also, and I can't really imagine this is a problem, but make sure the polarity is correct. Inner positive shell negative.
    Finally, the reason supply voltage is higher than battery voltage is that it is easy to regulate the actual working voltage from higher to lower.

Rich in ILM, Dec 14, 2009
Ask a Question