Hotmail/ firefox problems

Discussion in 'Linux' started by chrisharbidge, Nov 1, 2008.

1. chrisharbidge

chrisharbidge

Hi guys, just got an aspire (linux) and having a few teething troubles

firstly, i've tried updating to firefox 3, i download the files and extract and nothing happens (still on ff2)
    secondly, when i try to answer an email in my hotmail account, the text box is greyed out. (is this because i have ff2 running?)

I'm probably just being thick, but i've never used linux before and dont want to ruin it all.

Thanks in advance

Chris.

chrisharbidge, Nov 1, 2008
  2. chrisharbidge

Rustybolts

Micro$oft has updated their hotmail and is now not compatible for linux users there are two fixes listed in ubuntu forum.The first is to download user agent switcher for firefox, which i have done and not been able to get to work, the second...well ill give you the link its for use on ubuntu but someone may be able to transpose to linpus.
    link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ht=hotmail

:evil:

Rustybolts, Nov 1, 2008
  3. chrisharbidge

Rustybolts

Bump

Rustybolts, Nov 2, 2008
  4. chrisharbidge

Rustybolts

Just recently found the fix for this on ubuntu forums tested and works.
    Open firefox
    Type in the addressbar the following:
    Code:
    about:config 
    Double click on the line general.useragent.vendor is set to Fedora. Change this value to Firefox and try again to access the website.
    Setting wont be saved with Linpus pre-installed Firefox so must be set every time you access hotmail, if you manage to get new version of Firefox the settings will be saved.
    :D

Rustybolts, Nov 4, 2008
  5. chrisharbidge

fastislander

Hi all,

If you are running Firefox 3 (following the instructions here http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/08/06/acer-a ... ngFirefox3)

I have found this to work only by adding
    Code:
    Firefox/3.0.3
    to the line general.useragent.vendor.

This is saved and you can use Hotmail fine every time.

fastislander, Nov 5, 2008
  6. chrisharbidge

TTgowings

My Hotmail just updated this eve, and boy was (still am) I PO'd about the changes, I tried the above solutions but they didn't work, but what did work is either use CTRL - (or the No-Squint plug-in) and make the lettering smaller (about 80-90% worked for me) and voila you can now see the missing items on the main page..

Why hasn't Acer made an actual Live-Update to upgrade our FF browsers from 2.0 to 3.0 instead of having to do some hacking/mods just to get 3.0 to work on Linpus ?

TTgowings, Nov 8, 2008
  7. chrisharbidge

sbriet

My steps to write an email from hotmail with firefox on acer aspire one:
    1- Install Firefox 3: see instructions from http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/inst ... e-one.html
    2- Type in the addressbar the following: about:config ; Double click on the line general.useragent.vendor and enter :Firefox/3.0.3
    3- Restart your browser

sbriet, Nov 9, 2008
  8. chrisharbidge

andreswebb

You guys are geniuses... thanks a lot as that hotmail issue was a real pain!

andreswebb, Nov 13, 2008
Ask a Question