Housekeeping

Discussion in 'Linux' started by nobicus, Aug 3, 2009.

1. nobicus

nobicus

I confess that I am a user. Since I first read Rose Deakin’s “Diary of an Infomaniac” in the early 1980s (I am now 68 in case you should wonder) I have fed my habit with a variety of computers ranging from the ZX81 through the TI 99-4a, Dragon 32, BBC etc. Always being a user though and never a programmer – the hard core stuff was not for me. Seeking for the opportunity to feed my habit even away from home I have just purchased an AA1 1Gb/16GB HD with Linux as the operating system. Having run Windows from 98 through 2000, ME, XP and Vista I really am a stranger in a strange land with Linux as a bedfellow.
    I downloaded a game to try and don’t like it. How do I delete it? I can’t even find a games directory! I started working my way through the 30 hacks document and now have the right click to put up a fuller menu but there is no games directory. I have tried to find a driver for my Lexmark printer and downloaded 2 different ones from Lexmark’s site but on trying to install these one says that it requires a Debian installer and the other, presumably in disgust, just tells me that I do not have the correct installer (so yah boo sucks to you!!). I therefore deleted both files and sent them to the “trash”.
    Does this mean that there is a trashcan somewhere that will need emptying like a Windows recycling bin? If so where is it?
    Heeeelp! 16Gb is going to fill up damn quickly unless I can keep it clear.
    This brings me to the question of the usual disc clean up and defragmenting that I do as “housekeeping”. Can I still do this in Linux or doesn’t it need it?
    Heeelp again!
    Come on chaps I want to be the oldest geek in the area so please advise.

nobicus, Aug 3, 2009
  2. nobicus

fweigel

A question -- how did you load the game? That will tell us how to uninstall it.

Secondly, to empty the trash, open "My Documents" (or any of the main screen file folders in the green area), and then click "Go" in the menu bar. Then, pick "Trash". The contents of the trashcan are now displayed.

To empty it, use menu item "File", and choose "Empty Trash".

fweigel, Aug 4, 2009
  3. nobicus

nobicus

Thanks for your consideration of my problems.
    I extracted the *.sh file then double clicked this. It started to install and then appeared in the "games"section of the desktop.
    I shall attend to the emptying of the trash this afternoon.
    Thanks again.

nobicus, Aug 5, 2009
  4. nobicus

nobicus

Trash can emptied for which relief much thanks Horatio!! :lol:

nobicus, Aug 5, 2009
  5. nobicus

fweigel

Then , let us make haste, and remove that wretched game.

Click on "Settings" on your desktop. Choose "Live Update". Click that curious "History" button; select the game on the list and "Remove" it.

fweigel, Aug 5, 2009
  6. nobicus

nobicus

My cup runneth over!!
    Stand back linpus, I have a whip and cane chair and will tame you yet!
    Many, many thanks for this.

nobicus, Aug 5, 2009
  7. nobicus

fweigel

nobicus

As a follow up - there is no need to "defragment" in Linpus. So, don't worry about that aspect. Also, I wouldn't worry about emptying the trash too often; just when you need more space. Be sure to check in when you get more comfortable with the machine and the operating environment!

fweigel.

fweigel, Aug 5, 2009
Ask a Question