how close are we to a Fully fuctional Ubuntu AAO remix

Discussion in 'Linux' started by atarione, Aug 23, 2008.

1. atarione

atarione

just checking if I had the linux skillz (honestly I do not) I'd be haxing away to do it myself

but how close are we to a full everything works Ubuntu AA0 remix?

cause the Linpus isn't unbearable..but it isn't really setting my world on fire either.

cheers.

atarione, Aug 23, 2008
  2. atarione

Kenzyh

Well one thing is sure, which is a custom kernel that needs to be done for getting things working properly in Ubuntu. For instance, in Linpus it takes about 5-10 seconds for AA1 to go to sleep, in Ubuntu, it takes about 3-5 minutes, depending on the amount of errors during the sleeping process :D So, if there's someone, who's capable of compiling a custom kernel for this netbook, it would be quite soon when we would be having a fully functional Ubuntu in our AA1s.

Kenzyh, Aug 23, 2008
  3. atarione

atarione

ah... i c... ok then... LINPUS it is then for now :D

atarione, Aug 23, 2008
  4. atarione

axcairns

Are you referring to suspend or hibernate? I am running a stock Ubuntu kernel and my AA1 suspends in under five seconds and resumes in under 7 seconds (not including NetworkManager reconnecting the wireless network which is about another 10 seconds). I don´t use hibernate because of the reports of filesystem corruption.

My experience with Ubuntu on AA1 is pretty positive. The only outstanding problems are partition table corruption on sd cards after suspend/resume (switching to FAT32 seems to have fixed this but I still have phantom device entries in Nautilus) and headphones don´t mute the speaker.

Allan

axcairns, Aug 23, 2008
  5. atarione

Kenzyh

I'm referring to suspend, I don't even dare to use hibernate because of the corruption-problem. The suspend works quite well if there's no SD-card inserted, but with the SD-card suspend will take around 3-5 minutes to shut down the AA1, normal shutdown takes about 30 seconds..

Kenzyh, Aug 23, 2008
  6. atarione

axcairns

left or right socket? I have a 8gb sdhc in the left socket and my suspend/resume times are the same with it in or out

axcairns, Aug 23, 2008
  7. atarione

Kenzyh

It's in the left slot. The problem could be also because of the CIFS-shares, which cause problems with the shutdown as well. I have to take a look at that one, if the SD-card isn't causing the problem. I just got the idea of the inproper shutdown of the SD-card from the error messages, but I'll investigate this a little bit more...

EDIT: Nope, I unmounted the CIFS-shares before putting the book into the suspend, and the errors still occur. Something about MMC and dead queue, and it was more than 1 minute, less than 2 this time. Resuming from suspend takes almost as long as a normal boot does, so this is a +/- 0 situation compared to the normal shutdown/poweron- combination..

Kenzyh, Aug 23, 2008
Ask a Question