how comes....

Discussion in 'Linux' started by biboklaus, Jan 28, 2009.

1. biboklaus

biboklaus

I installed 8.04 yesterday, and i have to say: no probs at all! both cardreaders, webcam, mic, sound, wifi.. everything works just fine, was i just lucky? i run the eee ubuntu, on an aao150l with 1.5g.
    btw my wifi led doesn't work but i don't care...
    i used unetbootin to make a bootable usb.

greetz klaus

biboklaus, Jan 28, 2009
  2. biboklaus

Joeb

If you are running a version of Ubuntu for the Asus eee (eeebuntu or ubuntu-eee, (now called easy-peasy), then you are running Ubuntu with tweaks applied for netbooks. The hardware in the Asus and the Acer is very similar. If you are running straight 8.04 and haven't made any of the changes indicated on the wiki page, then you are lucky.

Joeb, Jan 28, 2009
  3. biboklaus

lotus49

Regardless of which version you are using, I would say that "lucky" is an understatement. If everything works it's little short of miraculous :) .

May I ask a couple of questions about the extent to which you have tested "everything"?

Does suspend work with a card inserted in either slot without corrupting the card?

Does your right card reader mount SDHC cards automatically (or even manually for that matter)?

I am running 8.10 and almost everything works. Like you my wifi light does not work but I know if I were to use the ath5k driver it would. I don't really care about that though. However, my card readers are only partially functional. My left hand card reader mounts on /home at boot time (I have an entry in /etc/fstab) but the right hand card reader won't mount an SDHC card at all. It works fine with SD cards though.

lotus49, Feb 3, 2009
  4. biboklaus

samguyjones

Could you link to what you installed? I'm running Easy Peasy (formerly eee-ubuntu), but I needed more tweaking than you describe:

• Right cardreader didn't work at first (applied fix here to good effect).[/*:m:zutgs7g5]
    • Wifi LED doesn't work (another fix on the same page -- haven't tried it yet)[/*:m:zutgs7g5]
    • Depending on settings, have to decide between internal mic that works with Skype only and an external mic that works with everything.[/*:m:zutgs7g5]

That said, these are mere annoyances. I wouldn't trade my slightly broken 8.10 setup (with key navigation for the UME launcher and tabs for nautilus browser) for a perfect 8.04, but I'd like to know where this is.

samguyjones, Feb 3, 2009
  5. biboklaus

biboklaus

actually i had slightly probs with the left card reader sdhc inserted but after i formatted it under ubuntu the card worked without any problems in the left and right cardreader. i've tried it with another sdhc card and also there was no problem.
    i installed the standard eee ubuntu wich means the 8.04.1
    i made a bootable stick with unetbootin.
    i installed most of the updates but not the eeepc stuff.
    didn't tried the ext mic cause i don't need it.
    sound works internal and external out of the box.
    the only thing i'm still messing around with is, if i plug in my sandisc cruzer 8gb stick it won't mount, but if i put in another usb stick e.g. platinum 2gb before it mounts wo any probs :lol:

biboklaus, Feb 4, 2009
Ask a Question