How do I compile new packages in Linpus?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by magicgunnar, May 21, 2009.

1. magicgunnar

magicgunnar

I am trying to compile a modem-driver in Linpus running "hsfconfig", I get the error:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ERROR: /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/build points to a missing directory

lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user 23 May 9 18:53 /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/build -> /usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9

Please install the 'kernel-devel-2.6.23.9lw' package.
    You can install this package with the command:
    yum install kernel-devel-2.6.23.9lw
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    But I have installed the kernel-devel. And done a lot of other things advised on different forums. What have I missed?

magicgunnar, May 21, 2009
  2. magicgunnar

RockDoctor

Hard to say. First step: in a terminal window:
    Code:
    rpm -q kernel-devel
    just to verify that the proper kernel-development package is, indeed, installed.

RockDoctor, May 22, 2009
  3. magicgunnar

magicgunnar

Thanks a lot for your reply! The command returns two lines:

[root@localhost user]# rpm -q kernel-devel
    kernel-devel-2.6.23.1-42.fc8
    kernel-devel-2.6.26.8-57.fc8

From my limited linux-knowledge I would guess that I have two kernel-devel packages installed, as a result of me trying to fix this by using different methods found on the internet?

magicgunnar, May 23, 2009
  4. magicgunnar

RockDoctor

Been there, done that too many times to count. You've got two Fedora 8 kernel-devel packages, neither one being exactly what you need. You need a -devel package that matches the kernel you're running, which appears to be the Linpus kernel, kernel-2.6.23.0lw. What you need is an rpm that should be labeled something like kernel-devel-2.6.23.9lw which would be the kernel-devel package for the Linpus kernel. That would have to come from Linpus, not from a Fedora repository. It's possible that the -devel rpm from one of the Fedora 2.6.23.9 kernels for Fedora 8 would also work; there's at least one available from the Fedora Project Koji system at http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=27294
    There's even an outside chance that kernel-devel-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 would work, but you'd probably have to do quite a bit of messing around. Be that as it may, kernel-devel-2.6.26.8-57.fc8 is definitely not what you want if you're running the Linpus kernel; you can get rid of it (sudo rpm -e kernel-devel-2.6.26.8-57.fc8).
    You could always download and install the source code for the Linpus AA1 kernel from http://www.linpus.com/download_link...x/Aspire_One_Source/linux-2.6.23.9lw.zip&id=1
    and then just compile enough to compile the module for your modem.

RockDoctor, May 23, 2009
  5. magicgunnar

magicgunnar

Thats good to hear ;)

There may be more packages from the 2.6.26.8 distribution on my computer, but I don't know if it is necessary to clean up more? At least I know that they won't help me, and I can stay clear of packages with other versions than what I have ;)

I am not sure if I understand what exactly this means.

Thanks a lot for your help so far, I think I am closer to the solution now, with the kernel-devel-2.6.23.9 installed. But the error I get is the same: /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/build points to a missing directory
    It actually points to /usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9
    but in the folder /usr/src/ there is only two folders: kernels and redhat.
    In the folder /usr/src/kernels/ there is a folder called 2.6.23.9-85.fc8-i686, the kernel-devel I just installed. Should /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/build point to this directory instead? Should I manually change the symbolic link: /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/build to point to /usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.9-85.fc8-i686 ?

magicgunnar, May 24, 2009
  6. magicgunnar

RockDoctor

1. The only other 2.6.26.8 package I can think of that may mess things up is the kernel headers package.
    2. If you download the kernel source code route, you don't need to compile everything. Since you (should) already have a valid kernel (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23.9lw) and initial ramdisk (/boot/initrd.img-2.6.23.9lw), you don't need to re-create these files
    3. I would definitely try manually re-pointing the symbolic link. On my desktop system (Fedora 11 preview), /lib/modules/2.6.29.3-155.fc11.i586/source points to /lib/modules/2.6.29.3-155.fc11.i586/build which points to the non-existent ../../../usr/src/kernels/2.6.29.3-155.fc11.i586; in my case I'd redirect /lib/modules/2.6.29.3-155.fc11.i586/build to point to the appropriate place (in your case /usr/src/kernels/2.6.23.9. Worst case scenario: it won't work.

RockDoctor, May 25, 2009
  7. magicgunnar

magicgunnar

I am definitely several steps closer thanks to you!

When I run the hsfconfig it runs for a while before it quits with the error:
    /bin/sh: install: command not found

I have been told the following:
    But when I open the package manager I see that
    is installed. Why doesn't I have the install-command? Is there another package I should use?

magicgunnar, May 26, 2009
  8. magicgunnar

RockDoctor

is installed. Why doesn't I have the install-command? Is there another package I should use?[/quote:384rd0da]
    I'm stumped on that one (and I no longer have Linpus on my AA1 to try it). Here's what I get on my desktop system:
    Code:
    ~$ which install
    /usr/bin/install
    ~$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/install
    coreutils-7.2-1.fc11.i586

RockDoctor, May 26, 2009
  9. magicgunnar

magicgunnar

Thank you for all responses so far. I know it has been ages since my last post here, you see I haven't had time to look on this computer for quite some time, but now I try again. What I have done:
    Code:
    [root@localhost user]# which install
    /usr/bin/which: no install in (/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/acer/bin:/sbin/:/usr/sbin/:/home/user/bin:/usr/acer/bin:/usr/acer/bin)

But a
    Code:
    # yum install coreutils
    Updated my coreutils from coreutils - 6.9-9.fc8.i386 to coreutils.i386 0:6.9-19.fc8, which now gives me:
    Code:
    [root@localhost user]# which install
    /usr/bin/install
    [root@localhost user]# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/install
    coreutils-6.9-19.fc8

Hurray! For now, because when I run hsfconfig I get:
    Code:
    ERROR: kernel modules not compiled; try running "hsfconfig" to solve the problem

I don't know if I am going forward or backward.

And I think I have got a problem with my sound support now, not sure when it emerged because I haven't used the sound on this pc very much.
    When I click the volume-button it says it didn't find any GStreamer-addon. Well, it is not very important, but I am tempted to do a reinstall of the OS if I am not able to solve this. On the bright side I am learning a lot.

magicgunnar, Feb 1, 2010
  10. magicgunnar

RockDoctor

Reinstalling is probably not a bad idea. And I'd urge you to check out a few other Linux distros before reinstalling Linpus. My personal favorite is Fedora, but Ubuntu (and many of its derivatives) and Mandriva seem to work equally well for me. If you're looking for a distro that's very light on resources, you might give Puppy Linux a try.

RockDoctor, Feb 11, 2010
Ask a Question