How do i download limewire or a similiar program?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by rategood, Jan 3, 2009.

1. rategood

rategood

Hey,

im completely new to linux, and only really know basic computer info.
    ive spent quite a few hours looking on this and other linux forums for info on how to download programs like limewire, so i can download music etc, but so far its either confused me or it hasnt had the correct info.
    i bought my acer aspire one in the UK and ive noticed that some contries put on different programs etc depending where you buy your net book.
    when i look on my computer to see what the operating system is, it says that it is: "linpus linux lite v1.0.7.E"
    and when i go to web sites like limewire and choose to download the program it gives me a huge list of different programs to download, of which i have no idea which one to choose!!!
    hopefully some one will be able to help me, find a good program and help me install it?

Thanks,
    Nick

rategood, Jan 3, 2009
  2. rategood

Huw

Just choose Limewire for Linux/Other and you will download a zip file. Unpack it and read the README file, which has pretty clear instructions.

Huw, Jan 10, 2009
  3. rategood

markh

For limewire, fuller instructions here.

For a lighter bittorent client try transmission from add/remove programs.

markh, Jan 10, 2009
  4. rategood

rategood

Sorry i still dont understand,
    it says i have to unzip the file once i have download it, but i have no idea how or what unzipping a file is?!
    i think though that i might have unzipped it, so i read a folder called "read me" and it said i had to download a java program????
    thats where i got lost again? it said something about trying to find out which version i needed? - lost me!!
    If anyone could help with idiot proof instructions that would be great!!!

Thanks again.

rategood, Jan 12, 2009
  5. rategood

markh

The instructions from that thread:

I've not done this, so I'm assuming the instructions above are correct.

So, you've got it downloaded in Downloads, right? Per the instructions, you should have a file named "LimeWireOther.zip" in there. If not, backtrack and do that. There are then 4 instructions with $ in front of them. Alt-f2, type terminal, hit return. Enter each command separately, leaving out the $ and the space right after it. That should do it.

A zipped file is a single file which contains a number of other files compressed together into that single file to save space and make downloading them more convenient. Hence, unzipping is getting the individual files out of that file. It ought to create a new folder in Downloads with those files inside.

markh, Jan 12, 2009
  6. rategood

rategood

Thank you very much got it,

made way more sence with what you said,

Thanks again

Paul

rategood, Jan 14, 2009
Ask a Question