How do I format SDHC cards that could not be mounted?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jhedrotten, Nov 21, 2008.

1. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

I have a 16GB SDHC card that I could not mount on Mandriva. It says something about it being on the 'black list' or something similar to that. How do I format it if I could not even mount it?

And does Mandriva has a Gparted counterpart that could handle external partitions [if i could install Gparted as well, the better]? As far as I can see the partition editor that could be found on the MCC does not see external drives.

jhedrotten, Nov 21, 2008
  2. jhedrotten

rpkemp

As a matter of fact you wouldn't want to mount it before formatting it. It's the formatted filesystem you mount, not the medium itself.

Having said that, if the reason you can't mount it is that it's a not a supported medium then you may be buggered. The precise error message would help ... ?

Diskdrake does handle external disks. It's at least as good as Gparted as far as I'm aware. The external disk will appear as a separate tab in the diskdrake window. If it doesn't, you have a problem with the medium.

rpkemp, Nov 21, 2008
  3. jhedrotten

jhedrotten

yeah thanks, i managed to format it. it was corrupted that's why disdrake was not able to see it, though i used Gparted to do it since I am not that familiar with diskdrake.

jhedrotten, Nov 23, 2008
  4. jhedrotten

rpkemp

My mistake. Diskdrake can't handle the internal card readers as well as gparted. You can run

Code:
    gparted /dev/mmcblk0
    but you can't run

Code:
    diskdrake /dev/mmcblk0

rpkemp, Nov 27, 2008
Ask a Question