How do I get wireless to work??

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ady199, Jan 17, 2009.

1. ady199

ady199

Installed Windows 7 (it runs very smoothly), can anyone please tell me how I get wireless to work? I saw in an earlier thread that someone had used the atheros_v7.6.1.184 driver from http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/...pic=14858&st=0 but when I try to update the ethernet controller (which I presume is the wireless) it just says 'Windows was unable to install your ethernet controller'

Can anyone please help??

ady199, Jan 17, 2009
  2. ady199

wrek

I'm having the same trouble. I have the 160g HD version and I've tried about a dozen Atheros drivers and nothing seems to work. No light, no wifi, driver unable to be installed errors, I even set Beta7 in test mode to allow unsigned drivers and that didn't work.

I did get it working briefly but I don't remember which driver it was. Didn't care because it barely worked. As soon as I tried copying any type of file it crapped out on me.

Can someone please respond and let us know what version of driver and where to get it?

wrek, Jan 17, 2009
  3. ady199

ady199

Well I'm nearly there, I can now install the driver by manually installing it, and clickinh 'Have Disk' but I can't seem to find out what model the wirless card is............people are telling me different models. I was first told Atheros AR5006EG installed it, but through up errors re-booted and it seemed to work, however after another reboot, the card won't start.
    Then I was told Atheros 802.11b/g WLAN but exactly the same thin happend.

Can anyone please help!

ady199, Jan 17, 2009
  4. ady199

rrkradio

Hi,
    i use, under win7, the atheros wlan driver 7.6.1.194. It works flawlessy with my Acer one 150 (120GB model).

I did a manual installation, reboot .. and blinking light works too !!!!!

I could suggest to upgrade you bios to the last version 3.3.0.9

Enjoy your day,
    Roby

rrkradio, Jan 17, 2009
  5. ady199

wrek

I (Wrek) deleted this text because it just confuses the issue.

wrek, Jan 17, 2009
  6. ady199

wrek

Where'd you get atheros wlan driver 7.6.1.194?

wrek, Jan 17, 2009
  7. ady199

wrek

Found the 7.6.1.194 driver.
    Regardless, I updated the driver manually be selecting the location I placed it and it's working great. Light blinky also. Rebooted, and all is STILL well. It copies large files without problems over 1 mb/sec... THANKS!

English (Google) Translation of the FRENCH site I found it on (don't worry the driver is in English LMAO):
    http://74.125.95.102/translate_c?hl=en& ... IVbtn1RtWQ

Direct link to the download file:
    http://www.croftophile.fr/pilote/atheros_v7.6.1.194.exe

wrek, Jan 17, 2009
  8. ady199

ady199

Your the man - Its finally working!!!! rebooted 3 times and still working - Wireless Light is also on the front of the laptop

Thanks so much!!

ady199, Jan 17, 2009
  9. ady199

wrek

rrkradio gets the credit ;)

wrek, Jan 17, 2009
  10. ady199

Guest Guest

It's works now! Wrek, thanks!

Guest, Jan 17, 2009
  11. ady199

wrek

Any of you guys with 194 running have any trouble yet? I was surfing etc., then went into the other room and was watching a video and it crapped out on me and I had to disconnect and reconnect to the wifi network. Didn't have to reboot though.

I'm not sure if I blame the wifi or the buggy as hell Beta 7 media player (whatever version it is). I've been having problems with it as well on 3 PC's that I have Beta 7 on now. All three show some sort of lagging of everything except media player and if you pause the video, O M G it's like the system is coming down. Anyway.. just checking in to see if anyone's having any wifi dropping after a few hours issues.

wrek, Jan 18, 2009
  12. ady199

GvidoR

Thanks a lot, this really solved my problem! :D

GvidoR, Jan 18, 2009
  13. ady199

wrek

Every couple of hours I have to shut off and restart my wifi. Anyone else?

Sooner if I'm moving large files on my LAN

wrek, Jan 19, 2009
  14. ady199

SteveUK

I have got some problems with Wireless at the moment. I installed Windows 7 beta last week (got my AAO 160gb on Thursday!) Everything detected and worked fine, even the wireless.

Today I've been trying to install the Acer Crystal Eye application, trying various driver/software packs. I've got to the point where the Acer Crystal Eye driver is installed, and the device has changed from "USB Camera" to "Acer Crystal Eye camera" or something along those lines.

As soon as this changed, my wireless has completely stopped working and Windows can't find a driver for it. I've just tried the driver from the previous page, and had to force it to accept the driver (wouldn't automatically find it). It claims the wireless card "won't start up". I wonder if others who are having wireless problems have the Crystal Eye driver installed.

For me, I'd rather have wireless than the webcam driver. I still haven't found the actual crystal eye application, which is what I actually wanted! :roll:

I'm going to remove the web cam driver and see if I can fix the wireless...

SteveUK, Jan 20, 2009
  15. ady199

SteveUK

Interestingly, after a shutdown and reboot, the device was working, but no connection. I then realised that the little wireless on/off soft button was now working. It hadn't been on the Windows default wireless driver, it was just "on".

Hopefully that's the end of the problem...

SteveUK, Jan 20, 2009
  16. ady199

wrek

Anyone having problems with it disconnecting on large file transfers and/or after a couple hours? This is REALLY annoying and I may have to put Ubuntu on it...

wrek, Jan 21, 2009
  17. ady199

ronime

Anyone got the AR5007EG to work under Windows 7 with BIOS v3114? I don't want to reflash the BIOS to v3309 because I will lose the lower backlight levels.

Using the built-in driver I can see my AP with good signal strength in the list of wireless networks but when I attempt to connect it just says that there was some kind of failure after accepting the correct WPA key.

Update: Out of interest, I flashed the BIOS to v3309 but the wireless card still could not connect. Reverted to v3114 for sensible backlight levels...

ronime, Jan 21, 2009
  18. ady199

mackin

Had a simillar problem to SteveUK, My Wireless stopped working after installing Bitdefender?

A quick uninstall, and reboot, and all worked well.

mackin, Jan 22, 2009
  19. ady199

ronime

v7.6.1.184 is now working for me in both XP and 7 (still using BIOS v3114). I tried v7.6.1.194 from the link in one of the earlier messages but that version failed to install in XP.

ronime, Jan 23, 2009
  20. ady199

dabono

I've found another WLAN driver for the Atheros AR5007EG that seems to work well (so far ;) ).

This one is from Acer's European support site, but it's for a different notebook (which happens to use similar wi-fi hardware).

ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebo...s/Wireless_Atheros_v7.6.1.122_VISTAx86x64.zip

Just unzip the download, and run the SilentInstall.bat file. This should upgrade the WiFi driver to 7.6.1.122.

The wireless on/off switch on front of the Aspire1 works (along with the OSD, if you have that installed), and the WiFi LED blinks when it's enabled.

I've just gotten it installed, so I can't say whether there are other issues with dropping the connection, etc. yet.

dabono, Jan 29, 2009
Ask a Question