How do I install my HP all in one printer?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Geekgirl, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Geekgirl

Geekgirl

Hi,
    Im a complete novice to Linux so please bear with me.

I have a HP Deskjet F4280 printer and I cannot get it to print. My AAO has detected it and said I needed some drivers which were downloaded and installed. The AAO recognises the printer is there and sends the document over to be printed, but nothing actually prints out. I cannot get a test page or anything.
    I'm getting very frustrated with it now :cry:
    Any ideas?
    Many Thanks
    Caroline

Geekgirl, Nov 23, 2008
  2. Geekgirl

andychurchill

Did you get this working in the end? :)

andychurchill, Jan 25, 2009
  3. Geekgirl

andychurchill

OK, Not sure if you figured it out, but I did some hunting around, and managed to get this working in the end. I can't really explain most of the steps I did as I didn't make a note of them, so I can't say all the individual steps, and maybe some of the things listed below, have eventually meant I did them twice when I didn't need to. :)

First thing I'd done is naively inserted the printer into the USB port and assumed that the fact it recognised a printer being connected would mean that it was working. It didn't work! grr!

So, I did some googling and came across this url: https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/48001

Particularly, this post in the thread:

"I've just had some recent fun trying to get an HP 1350 running with my Acer Aspire One, and think I've found the "magic" fix...

First of all, everything looked ok, and the Aspire recognized the printer when I plugged it in and automatically seemed to get the correct drivers. My problem was when I tried to print, I would just be stuck forever at "processing".

So I did an investigation and found an interestting thread on the osdir.com website concerning printing to the PSC series of HP printers...

The magic was to install libusb-devel package (in addition to libusb)

I went through the following steps...

1. Unplug the usb printer
    2. Remove hplip (sudo yum remove hplip)
    3. Make sure libusb is installed (sudo yum install libusb)
    4. * Install libusb-devel (sudo yum install libusb-devel) * This is the secret sauce!
    5. Install hplip to get the latest drivers (sudo yum install hplip)
    6. Plug in printer and then use the printer configuration app (under settings) to install the
    the printer

It doesn't look like just a linpus/Aspire One issue, but a more general linux problem. There seems to be something missing in the libusb package that was found in the libusb-devel package.

Hope this helps people out.

Regards,

Robert"

After following the steps above, it still didn't work, presumably because this was a different (older?) model compared to what I had. I soon find out the reason! This page (http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... eries.html) explains that it IS supported on linpus, assuming you have version of hplip 1.8.5 or higher, and the version I had on my linpus machine seemed to be 1.8.2. So I googled some more, came across:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html which is hplip 1.8.12.

I downloaded this .run package, ran it, did the custom install, followed the instructions, etc, and after a long wait for the installation, it prompted me to reattach the USB cable, went through the hp-setup, and this time it worked fine.

andychurchill, Jan 25, 2009
  4. Geekgirl

Geekgirl

I never did get my printer working. I just gave up in the end and painstakingly had to save everything to my pen drive and print off my "normal" laptop.
    Thank you so much for the help, I will certainly give it a go! I love my AAO ad my one bugbear was my printer.
    Caroline

Geekgirl, Jan 26, 2009
  5. Geekgirl

asubra

hi there, i also having problem with my aspire notebook with vista ultimate..the printer is using USB port. it is not recognizing /detecting the printer. any one have any idea how to troubleshoot this ?

asubra, Jan 27, 2009
  6. Geekgirl

andychurchill

I'm surprised that you would have trouble with it on vista. I have vista on a desktop and it worked correctly just by following the provided instructions, e.g. insert CD, install drivers and software, plug in USB cable, and away it went.

Have you confirmed the USB port you're using works by plugging in another device? did you install software/drivers first before plugging it in?

andychurchill, Jan 28, 2009
  7. Geekgirl

andychurchill

Even worse - I've got the HP Wireless G USB Print Server to use with this printer (it was a free with the F4280, so a real bargain at under £49!)

I know it'll work fine with vista and XP machines I have in the house, but the AA1 linux netbook is going to be the problem. Looks like HPLIP guys are looking into it, but have no idea how they'll get around to making it work, which is a bit of a pain. I forsee lots of problems with trying to come up with an acceptable solution.

andychurchill, Jan 28, 2009
  8. Geekgirl

screamingannie

Hi

I am another Linux beginner having trouble with an HP Printer. Mine is a Photosmart 7960. It too was getting stuck at the "processing" stage.

I noted andychurchill's advice above and followed through the same steps. This step failed (something about not being able to find the necessary file?):
    4. * Install libusb-devel (sudo yum install libusb-devel) * This is the secret sauce!

However....hooray! My printer printed via the USB port. I printed two pages. Then I had to change the printer ink. Then with the next document, I'm back to square one again. Stuck at "processing". Then things got even worse. The computer thinks the printer is disconnected (it isn't). When I sent a print job, it cancelled it.

I tried rebooting, switching printer on and off, unplugging and reconnecting. Now at least I am back to being stuck at the processing stage. This is more frustrating than it never working in the first place.

In desparation I tried the advice in:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3277&p=22640&hilit=installing+printer#p22640 which was:

1. Open a terminal window
    2. Type : sudo yum install hplip hpijs hplip-gui
    3. I answered "Y" or 'yes' to all questions

--Linus connects to the interwebs and downloads your program/packages for you.

4. Restart your puter

At step 3 I only said "yes" once. This had no effect. I am afraid now that I've got my poor little netbook very confused. Have I?
    Any suggestions please?

Anne

screamingannie, Mar 18, 2009
  9. Geekgirl

AcmeUK

Hi

Just to let you know, I followed the steps above and I can now print from an Acer Aspire One to my HP PSC 1210.

Many thanks to you Andy

BillP

AcmeUK, May 5, 2009
Ask a Question