How do I install XDMCP?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Fustercluck, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Fustercluck

Fustercluck

Anyone know how to get XDMCP running on the Aspire One under the standard Linpus build?

I'd like to set the box up for 'proper' graphical logins using an external X Server (Xming on my other PCs).

Fustercluck, Feb 12, 2009
  2. Fustercluck

DonQuichote

I do not have the default installation anymore (it did not survive for even one hour), but I run Xubuntu. Here's how it is done in Xubuntu in the hope you can find it on your system:

Xubuntu's graphical login manager is gdm. It comes with a setup utility called gdmsetup. If gdm is not present, forget this post. If gdmsetup is not present, edit the configuration file /etc/gdm/gdm.conf. In Xubuntu, there is an override file called /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom. You can edit the latter file so the former is kept intact when updating. If the latter does not exist, use the former.
    If the gdmsetup command is present, use it (as root). It should be fairly self-explaining. For outgoing XDMCP, find the button "Configure X server" at the security tab and configure the chooser.

The file /etc/gdm/gdm.conf is full of comments on how to set all the options.

Hope this helps enough for the Linpus situation.

DonQuichote, Feb 12, 2009
  3. Fustercluck

Fustercluck

Thanks - looks like I'm going to have to ditch Linpus. I quite like it because it's very quick to boot and works properly with all the hardware, making it good for day to day netbook use. All the other Linux distros seem to have quirks like not supporting suspend or problems with the WiFi and take a lot longer at boot.

I was hoping that behind the easy and fast front end I'd be able to do some 'proper' Linux stuff too but seems like I'm going to have to install a more capable distro of Linux to get more funcionality and compatibilty with packages - what with Linpus being based on a cut-down, out-of-date release of Fedora.

I bought the Aspire One mainly to play around with Linux (I also have a Samsung NC10 for day to day use) so time to take the leap.

Fustercluck, Feb 15, 2009
  4. Fustercluck

DonQuichote

Re: How do I install XDMCP? (updated)

I did not say that. Linpus may very well use gdm also. Or another graphical login manager (like xdm). Just see if you can find anything related. Try:
    Code:
    locate gdm
    It will show where any gdm files are. If it is not install, it will not give any results. In that case try:
    Code:
    locate xdm
    in the latter case,
    Code:
    man xdm
    may tell you how to configure it.

UPDATE:
    From this topic viewtopic.php?t=363 , it seems that Linpus has indeed gdm on board. So the actions for Xubuntu should also valid for Linpus. At least for the config files and possibly also for the existence of the gdmsetup utility.

From the Xming documentation:
    There is a problem if the login type is anything other than "plain". I recently installed Xming myself and setting the login to plain did help. Also, in gdmsetup you should allow connections from other machines.

DonQuichote, Feb 15, 2009
  5. Fustercluck

Fustercluck

Thanks for the info - I have had some luck in using xfce4 with Xming acting as the X-server on another PC though it's still all very unstable and involves me kicking everything off manually after sshing in.

Still, I have to say it's looking more and more like a more 'fullsome' distro is the way to go. The more I look into doing stuff using the Linpus version, the more it seems that the packages aren't available and I'm not into making my own.

Fustercluck, Feb 21, 2009
Ask a Question