How do I install XP on Linpus Lite w/SSD?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Aspiration, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Aspiration

Aspiration

Are there problems with doing a cd install of XP over top of my Linpus Lite OS?
    I have a 9 inch AA1 with that God forsaken hacked to death OS and bad instructions on trying to install vlc and other programs to get basic use out of it.
    I understand the xp version has different wi-fi cards? How do I find out what is in my system since linus is not user friendly in any regard?
    Will xp crash trying to boot off the SSD since its not a hard drive because XP certainly seems to have problems with flash drive booting from what I've read?

Aspiration, Apr 13, 2009
  2. Aspiration

grwkak

XP will install fine over Linpus. I did it using a USB DVD drive attached. You will need the XP drivers for the AAO - search the forum for the location. If possible use a SDHC card for temp files and browser cache. Use Flashpoint to buffer writes to the SSD - otherwise the system will stall every so often (SSD write speeds are slow). Search the forum for XP related tweaks.

grwkak, Apr 13, 2009
  3. Aspiration

Aspiration

How use flashpoint to buffer writes to the SSD? What is flashpoint? Why can't I just install off the cd?

Aspiration, Apr 13, 2009
  4. Aspiration

grwkak

grwkak, Apr 15, 2009
  5. Aspiration

Aspiration

Thanks... downloaded flashpoint and wrote it to a cd. Was almost at the point of wiping out this linux os before I finally got vlc installed. I think "Acer" should realize this dumbed down half hacked linpus lite sucks without the essentials working properly. I finally got up the nerve to try the macles website installation instructions via copy and paste to avoid typos. Took a long time but it did install without problems. Found out by shear luck to type "y" when the installation asks "Is this OK?" because that essential step was also missing from the instructions.
    At least now I can get half decent compatibility for media formats.
    BEWARE: the Acer download page for vlc will not install a useable vlc version.

Aspiration, Apr 17, 2009
  6. Aspiration

dan_k

Hi Aspiration,
    How did you finally install vlc? I'm also having trouble. I've followed intructions elsewhere on this site but something always fails 1/2 way through.

dan_k, Apr 21, 2009
  7. Aspiration

Aspiration

I went to the macles website and copied and pasted instructions for vlc into a terminal window including the removal of mplayer. Only after trying to play dvds did I find VLC wrecked the ability to play dvds. VLC will not play files unless mplayer is removed so you either end up with broken dvd playback or broken vlc depending on if you keep mplayer or delete it. So beware before you try installing vlc. So far no one has bothered to mention these issues. I suppose this is the reason why most people give up and install xp instead.

Aspiration, Apr 23, 2009
Ask a Question