How do I make VLC play DVDSL

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Aspiration, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Aspiration

Aspiration

VLC is not a user friendly application. It does not know how to play DVDs. What secret lingo code words, procedures do I need to use to get VLC to play DVDs?

Aspiration, Apr 20, 2009
  2. Aspiration

Aspiration

I did a reinstall of linux... ew... gross man!
    But at least I got to confirm that the usb boot made from the dvd works excellent!

Aspiration, Apr 20, 2009
  3. Aspiration

jinx022

In many Linux distributions you need to install libdvdcss to enable DVD playback. Thanks, DVD John.

jinx022, Apr 20, 2009
  4. Aspiration

Aspiration

or not. If I leave the original mplayer installed... it will autoplay dvds but then VLC will not load and play mp4 files and probably won't play anything period because it goes to load, expands the window as if it is going to play and then the window shrinks back to the default size with no file loaded and quits loading or playing anything. If I remove the original mplayer and install VLC, VLC will play the mp4 file but will still not play dvd's. I tried opening a disk in vlc and also tried opening the vob file on the dvd. Neither case will cause vlc to play dvds. It won't even play the audio files on the dvd either.

If I leave the mplayer installed so that dvds play, shouldn't the dvd library file be already installed? If so, why doesn't VLC play dvds? I'm not willing to go without dvd playback on an external dvd reader so unless the VLC issue can be resolved I won't be able to play other video formats either... other than the avi my camera records.

Help would be appreciated.

Aspiration, Apr 21, 2009
  5. Aspiration

Fairnuf

I'm new to all this Linux stuff but I use VLC on my windows machines as I find it an excellent player (each to their own I suppose). Isn't it possible to just add new codecs to Mplayer (as you would with windows)? As I say I am new to Linux and this may be impractical but I thought it was a question worth asking.

Fairnuf, Apr 21, 2009
  6. Aspiration

Aspiration

The issue with VLC seems to be due to the dumbed down and hacked Linux version Acer made. It would be great if Acer made a codecs upgrade package for the mplayer. Since they haven't, I can only assume that they haven't been able to get it to work or have decided not to because of copyright or some other legal issues.

Aspiration, Apr 23, 2009
Ask a Question