How do i restore linpus, can i use unetbootin?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by KieranLinux, Feb 21, 2009.

1. KieranLinux

KieranLinux

So i have a 8gb SDD Linux version Acer Aspire One, Which came with a rather weird operating system which at first i did not like, so i thought i would look up a few way on how to install ubuntu 8.10, i found ubuntu very slow on my system and i would like to revert back on to linpus, as my main comupuer wont let me create a usb image, though the bios in my main computer, i was wondering if i downloaded the image online, and if i coule use unetbootin to make a usb image from it, does anyone know if this could work. Please reply, and my other computer is running on linux mint so please so tell me and windows way of solving this

KieranLinux, Feb 21, 2009
  2. KieranLinux

retsaw

I don't think you can use unetbootin to do it since it won't be a distro it know about. But, looking at unetbootin it does have an option for using an ISO, so you could try creating an image of your restore CD, and try it with unetbootin anyway, it might be able to work it out. Otherwise can't you borrow someone else's computer to create the restore USB with?

Since your other computer is running Linux, you can create an ISO from a CD/DVD with dd to save you downloading a copy, e.g. "dd if=/dev/hdc of=~/image.iso" where /dev/hdc is your DVD drive.

It's strange that you find Ubuntu 8.10 to be slow, since I've just switched to it and other than a longer boot time, I find it to be just as responsive as Linpus was even using Compiz (saying that I have upgraded my RAM, so that might make the difference).

retsaw, Feb 21, 2009
  3. KieranLinux

KieranLinux

Thank you so much, but i dont even have a USB Flash Drive so i will try the hardrive install if that dont work ill try fedora 10 looks preety decent and everything works out the box. i did try eeebuntu thats preety sweet.

KieranLinux, Feb 22, 2009
Ask a Question