How do I 'safely remove' a USB stick?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by choogle, Mar 20, 2009.

1. choogle

choogle

The following message appears when I remove the USB stick I'm using:

''To avoid serious data loss, disable the removable device with the 'Safely remove' green button.'''

I can see no green button to be using. Is there something on the Acer Aspire that I should be looking for to comply with the instruction? The USB stick I m using is a Kingston Data Traveller 1GB.

choogle, Mar 20, 2009
  2. choogle

janss

There should be an "eject" button on the file manager (in Acer Linpus and all other Linuxes).

If I remember correctly, in Linpus it's a green button with the "eject" logo.

[​IMG]

janss, Mar 20, 2009
  3. choogle

choogle

I see an icon that looks similar to the one you posted, two keys to the left of the spacebar (between Fn & Alt). It 'looks like' a house with a chimney to its right, with two thick black lines holding up the 'roof' (ie. thick arrow pointing upwards?). It's not green though. Does this sound like it might be it?

choogle, Mar 20, 2009
  4. choogle

jinx022

The file manager "Thunar" should open when you plug in the USB stick. If you closed it, just open the file manager again. Your USB stick will show as a Removable Volume in the left panel. Just right click on this label and select "Unmount volume". A pop-up window will say whether it is safe to remove the USB stick or not.

jinx022, Mar 20, 2009
  5. choogle

choogle

Haven't seen 'thunar' at any point since I've been using this Acer, but I'll bear it in mind in case

choogle, Mar 20, 2009
  6. choogle

solpuerto

Hi choogle

You said
    I see an icon that looks similar to the one you posted, two keys to the left of the spacebar (between Fn & Alt). It 'looks like' a house with a chimney to its right,
    That is the Home key because it looks like a " ? " , thats right, nothing to do with ejecting a USB stick.

Thunar is the File management system on the Aspire. It is a while since I had the standard Acer desktop but if my memory serves me right, select Files and it should open up the File Manager, Thunar.
    If you select "View" near the top of File Manager then "Side Pane" you will see "Tree" tick the box and you will see the left hand pane change to show any USB, or for that matter card, inserted in the Aspire.
    Repeating what has been said before, highlight the USB and right click on the mouse will show a menu. When you want to remove the USB select "Unmount volume"

Best wishes.

solpuerto, Mar 20, 2009
  7. choogle

neopath

If you are using windows, the "green button" they're talking about is the little icon in the tray that appears when you insert a USB device on your computer. there's picture here:

http://ask-leo.com/safely_remove_hardwa ... ut_it.html

Just left-click on it and a pop up with all removable usb devices presently connected to your computer will appears next to the icon.. just click one the one you want to remove and after a second or two windows will tell you that it's fine to unplug the device.

Can't remember exactly right now, but on Linux I'm pretty sure you only need to right-click on the device on your desktop (or in a file explorer like,say, thunar) and and chose "eject" from the contextual menu.

Hope that helps.

neopath, Mar 20, 2009
  8. choogle

choogle

Thanks again for the responses folks. It's a Linux machine I'm working from, so I'm not seeing any of the icons being mentioned.

However, I've been practising the right click, then 'unmount volume' method, and am happy to report that this is doing the trick.

Must admit it's been a bit confusing trying to find a 'green button, but hey, problem solved

choogle, Mar 21, 2009
  9. choogle

bertus8

Hi
    when you put in the stick, you wil get at the left the name of the mem.tool
    click on this with the left mouse and choose remove . .

thats it, Bert

bertus8, Mar 22, 2009
Ask a Question