how do you know when to run LiveUpdate...

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rowantree, Sep 16, 2008.

1. rowantree

rowantree

...is there a Patch Tuesday type thing or...?

I take it from the various postings on here the latest one wasn't a resounding success so should I skip and wait for the next?

Can you choose what you update when you run it also?

Thanks,
    Rowantree

rowantree, Sep 16, 2008
  2. rowantree

jango

??? :shock:

jango, Sep 16, 2008
  3. rowantree

rowantree

Well, that was a helpful reply... cheers.

rowantree, Sep 17, 2008
  4. rowantree

annafil

LiveUpdates from acer are generally a good thing, unless you have been applying a lot of hacks on this forum. the updates tend to overwrite certain files without telling you - that's the only problem really.

They aren't released on a regular basis, but in chunks. You need to have the previous round of updates, usually, before you can update to a newer set of updates. (Like the windows update system in a way).

there is a hack on macles.blogspot.com that marks all updates as optional and allows you to choose which you want and don't want, but I don't see it doing very much good because all we're getting from acer are the names of the things being updated, no changelogs or lists of changed files.

Best compromise is - do a full backup of your system (search the howto section for the thread on how) before you running any updates, and then download them all and work your way from there..

annafil, Sep 17, 2008
  5. rowantree

daldred

I think the point of the macles hack is to prevent the update uselessly reinstalling stuff you've deliberately removed - such as the Acer game demos, or surplus language packs, which are just a waste of SSD space if you're never going to use them.

daldred, Sep 17, 2008
  6. rowantree

annafil

that makes sense, my beef is really with acer for not providing details of what the updates contain. it annoys me because i have to essentially guess what the update really does, and whether it will offset all my modifications.. :)

annafil, Sep 17, 2008
  7. rowantree

rowantree

Thanks folks. I'll away learn about backups first then...

Cheers,
    Rowantree

rowantree, Sep 17, 2008
Ask a Question