How do you update the Bios?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by one23, Sep 17, 2008.

1. one23

one23

Does anyone know where I can find some instructions to install the bios on the One? Thanks

one23, Sep 17, 2008
  2. one23

zgstyle

It would be interesting for me too.
    I have spend a half of the day trying to find an instruction. :(

zgstyle, Sep 18, 2008
  3. one23

daldred

Searched for 'BIOS' on the forum, and within two minutes found this link for you:

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/07/flashing-bios.html

HTH.

daldred, Sep 18, 2008
  4. one23

zgstyle

Thanks for the link! It seems my keywords were wrong. :oops:
    Have you tried to flash the BIOS using that tutorial?
    Was everything ok?

Thanks in advance!

zgstyle, Sep 18, 2008
  5. one23

daldred

You're welcome...

I haven't flashed the BIOS myself; my One works OK as it was originally, and I've not yet had any need to flash the BIOS for missing features. In fact I'm using the acerfand hack to silence my fan, and this BIOS upgrade breaks that, so I'm not planning to! I've kept an eye on the discussions over the BIOS, though, just in case I need it; reflashing the BIOS being the identified way of solving some of the 'my One went dead' issues.

daldred, Sep 18, 2008
  6. one23

Alf0903

Hi!

I've just updated my AAO to the Bios v3304, I think it's always best to be updated, so I'd recommend you to keep your AAO up to date. Althoug it's important to have our drivers updated, you have to be very careful when updating yur BIOS, because you can kill your gadget, my recommendation is this:

1.- when updating your BIOS be sure your battery is 100% charged, I don't really know if this works, but try to keep it connected to the AC when doing BIOS updates, at least I feel safer that way.

2.- You need to make a USB penstick bootable, how?, well you need the software called "HP Windows Format Utility for USB Drive Key" it's freeware, also you need DOS startup disk files.

3.- Save the DOS startup files in an easy to remember location.

4.- Install the Hp software, once installed you will find a new icon on your desktop, double click it and select the usb you want to format (keep in mind you will FORMAT that USB, so all the information on it will be erased).

4.- Let the HP app to choose the file system it will use during format.

5.- Under format options chose "QUICK FORMAT" and "CREATE A DOS STARTUP DISK" and select "USING DOS SYSTEM FILES LOCATED AT", and using the "..." button search for the startup files.

6.- Click start an READ the warning, if you are comfortable with the warning click OK and wait for the format work to finish.

7.- Copy the BIOS update files to the stick, as it is "clean", I think it's easier to place them in the root of the stick, I mean to place them in no folder just the files.

8.- Connect the usb to your AAO an turn it ON as soon as the first screen comes on, use the F12 key to go to the "boot option menu", once there you would see the boot options, select your USB (using the up and down arrows) and "ENTER", you will see a Windows 98 Boot screen for a couple of seconds, then your AAO will boot to DOS starting at C:

9.- Type DIR in the command prompt and you will see a list of the files in your USB (in the case of the BIOS v3304 there are 3 files, and you will need Run 3304.BAT to flash the BIOS, just wait and thast all.

I uploaded the HP app and the startup files in this link http://rapidshare.com/files/146354149/USB_booteable.rar
    I hope this guide would help you, but again you need to be very careful when updating BIOS, all the steps listed above worked for me, if there's somethign you think is confusing (and I know there is), I apologize because I'm not a native english speaker, but I'm willing to try to help you any way I can.

Alf0903, Sep 18, 2008
  7. one23

wjwolff

I don't yet have a USB drive - can I use a USB card-reader with memory-card installed instead?
    Thx,

W14

wjwolff, Sep 24, 2008
Ask a Question