How does recovery disc work?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by piglet, Oct 17, 2008.

1. piglet

piglet

Hi, apologies if this is covered elsewhere but from the search I did I couldn't find anything.

I have a 120Gb hard drive Aspire One running Linpus. I'm interested in experimenting with other operating systems (XP and Ubuntu), but whilst I have installed XP on other PC's in the past I'm still fairly new to this sort of thing, and more than a bit nervous!

Before I start messing around I'd like to understand how the recovery disc works, and specifically will it repartition and reformat the disc if I have messed around with partitions and formatting myself? Basically, will it be able to restore the to the original out-of-the-box state with linpus no matter what I've done to the disc, or does it rely on the partitions and formatting being okay? By the way, I have a USB DVD drive, so i don't need to concern myself with recovery USB sticks.

If anyone knows exactly how the recovery disc works then I'd be grateful for the information!

piglet, Oct 17, 2008
  2. piglet

piglet

Nobody? Oh well, I think I can now answer the question myself...

It appears that the restore process just copies an image file onto the disk, since I have now done the things that were worrying me (re-partitioned, change one partition's format to NTFS, etc...) and restored to the original out-of-the-box situation using the restore disc.

Interestingly, I also called Acer's technical support here in the UK, and they were quite vague about how it worked...

piglet, Oct 21, 2008
  3. piglet

damoske

One thing that panicked me, once I realised, is that the first (default) option to install Linpus to the HDD, has a timer on it - after 10 seconds, it seems to start installing to the HDD automagically.

This wasn't good, as I was trying to copy the image to a USB stick, and did so first on my gf's Macbook, and then on my Media Center. Luckily it hung at the beginning both times (hopefully it intentionally identified non-Acer hardware, rather than being through luck).

Anyway - once I moved the cursor to Option 2 (install to USB stick), it seems to be creating the USB stick OK, to my Sandisk Cruzer. Another point to note is that you need a USB mouse to run the USB setup program - it's pointer-driven, and there didn't seem to be a way to drive it from the keyboard (unless the Macbook's keyboard was unsupported, as well as the trackpad). That created OK, and I then booted the AAO off it. 25-30 minutes later, I have a box-fresh AAO up and running.

What would be useful for me now, is to save an image of the USB stick so I don't have to go through the prospect of accidentally reimaging my main home server with Linpus once again. I'm just trying USB Image Tool, and will see if that works.

D

damoske, Nov 17, 2008
Ask a Question