How I broke 2 AA0's trying to upgrade the RAM

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by msuh27, Sep 8, 2008.

1. msuh27

msuh27

Hi guys,

First of all, I must disclaim that I am an intermediate level computer user, on both software and hardware applications. I have taken apart, and made computers from scratch now for over 15 years. The problem I had trying to install RAM on the AA0 is the goddam tiny screws are screwed in too tight. I ended up stripping the screw heads and I needed to take a 17.2 volt power drill to take them out. I must have damaged the motherboard, even though I don't visibly see any damage. Take caution when taking the screws out. The second one I bought had the same problem. I'm so frustrated. "SCREW" ACER!!!

msuh27, Sep 8, 2008
  2. msuh27

the_raptor

And you are breaking them down and selling them on ebay for all the people that have had faults while upgrading right?

the_raptor, Sep 8, 2008
  3. msuh27

pdox

instead of using a power drill i think what another poster said makes more sense, try and make a groove so you can use a flat head screw driver with the damn bugger. i have one screw which now has a hole instead of a + and i've decided not to mess with it anymore.

pdox, Sep 8, 2008
  4. msuh27

SbM

They are, but if you use the right tool everything's fine. Use a proper Philips screwdriver, and hold your One firmly from underneath in order to apply maximum pressure to the screw while unscrewing it. E.g. I had to take out the 3G door to put my finger in there and not let the plastic bend while unscrewing one of the daughterboard's screws.

SbM, Sep 8, 2008
  5. msuh27

rjm

Meditate for a while:

How much multitasking are you really going to do on an 8.9" screen?

Do you really need more than 512MB?

If you are really going to need 1GB, aren't you also going to need something with more grunt than the 8GB SSD? Couldn't you just by the HDD version with 1GB and save you the trouble of beating up two innocent 110s that you'll later flog to unknowing punters on eBay?

rjm, Sep 8, 2008
  6. msuh27

dattaway

You will need to invest in a better set of tools. Some are total junk, while some from the dollar store can last forever.

The screws you are removing have medium strength Loctite holding them in place. One way of making an easier removal is heating the screw with the tip of a soldering iron. But there's a soft plastic case that holds in the stud. It can be a challenge, but having a good quality screwdriver you trust is the key. Tools will make or break hobbies. Find better tools!

dattaway, Sep 8, 2008
  7. msuh27

soleblaze

I had to drill a screw out on my AOA150. It was one of the ones under the battery. You pretty much just need to find a screw driver that fits the hole. After I switched to one that fits better I haven't had any problems removing screws.

soleblaze, Sep 8, 2008
  8. msuh27

naddie

Whenever I have a small screw that is difficult to turn, I'd use a pair of pliers to assist in the twisting. Apply a good amount of downward force so the head won't pop out and use the pliers for leverage to twist. Never had any problems with the One's screws. Hope I never will!

naddie, Sep 8, 2008
  9. msuh27

ipearl

any parts on sale ??? Like the Mobo Keyboard ? Plastic trim ? Rubber feet ??? Let me know i want to buy =D

ipearl, Sep 8, 2008
  10. msuh27

Daijoubu

The way philips head is designed, having the wrong size WILL strip the screw, thats because it was designed so you can't overtoque the screw, forcing will have the cams out

http://www.pcdoctor-guide.com/wordpress/?p=1668

Daijoubu, Sep 9, 2008
  11. msuh27

rory

I have had 3 and taken apart all 3
    First 2 no problems at all, all screws came in and out fine
    Newest one, one of the screws under the battery just wouldn't come out no matter how much pressure I used, so it ended up being stripped, and I had to drill it out with the only available thing: a corded hammer drill....
    And at first I left the solitary screw in and just unscrewed all the others and I even added RAM and my Dell 1390, but when it came to adding my HDD, I decided to just drill it out and save the hassle.
    Rory

rory, Sep 9, 2008
  12. msuh27

ineedaname

I've had 2 A1's and both of them had one screw that was WAY over tightened. I used a proper screw driver but still ended up completely stripping the head. There really was just no way to take out that screw...

In the end I used a Dremel rotary tool to cut out a new groove for it. Even after I cut out the groove I nearly broke the rest of the head off before getting it out. It was just THAT tight. Both of my A1's had the same problem but on a different screw. Luckily for me I didn't break my A1's. I used a lot of precaution b4 cutting the head of the screw.

ineedaname, Sep 10, 2008
  13. msuh27

corkie

For the three screws under the battery which can be difficult to unscrew. Someone mentioned that they may be glued in place and to use a soldering iron to heat the screws.

I didn't have one to hand when adding ram to my own. So I heated the head of a screwdriver with a cig lighter. And the screws opened easier after that.

corkie, Sep 10, 2008
  14. msuh27

ipearl

They use plastic Lock tight what it is. On atleast 1-2 screws of the laptop.
    In my case it was teh screw that holds the Wifi and the mobo.
    My friends was the same 2 screws Mobo and Wifi.

Once scre removed u coudl see a clear dried substance around the screw unlike the remaining screws had no susbtance.
    Its probably a way to let them know the AAO has ben tampered with, since there are no stickers anywhere LOL.

ipearl, Sep 10, 2008
  15. msuh27

voloyov

It was very frustrating indeed.

My solution: I crushed the screw with as much grip strength as possible using needle-nose pliers. This was a screw on the motherboard. Eventually, I was able to grip and twist. The screw looks a bit funny, but otherwise everything works great now.

voloyov, Sep 25, 2008
Ask a Question