How many hardware issues does it take?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by woody188, Oct 14, 2008.

1. woody188

woody188

I purchased the 120GB Windows XP blue version. I had the following issues with my A1 within 48 hours of initial use:

1. The webcam would stop working. It would work with one application, then stop working, and disappear from the Device Manager.[/*:cxsdfy5t]
    2. The unit stopped charging the battery at random. Likewise, the battery/power indicator light stopped working. The battery was supposedly full, but it wouldn't power the unit. Sometimes the unit just would not turn on no matter what was tried.[/*:cxsdfy5t]
    3. The speakers would get extremely quiet, like the amplifier was going bad. It would work for a while, then stop. The headphone jack was fine.[/*:cxsdfy5t]
    4. WiFi would cut out at random, and refuse to work. It wouldn't turn on or off via the hardware switch. A complete shutdown would typically make it work again.[/*:cxsdfy5t]
    5. The fan was constantly running. Even just sitting idle that fan was whirring away.[/*:cxsdfy5t]
    Most of the issues showed up after a few hours use, so my thought was it was over-heating. Having one of these issues isn't so much of a problem, perhaps worth waiting for a fix. But having them all within 48 hours of purchase?

Acer must know these units are buggy, hence that cheap price and their silence on these issues. This unit could not have made it through a proper QA process. Just another cheap POS from China to throw on the scrap heap. This device should be recalled. It's not worth the $349 they are selling it for.

I returned mine for a full refund. My suggestion to everyone as an A+ certified technician is to do the same. The only way Acer will address the issue is to demand a full refund each and every time. Don't blame yourself for Acer's hardware! Demand a refund!

woody188, Oct 14, 2008
  2. woody188

nmesisca

well, you know there are defective units, as for everything else.
    at the moment, I am very happy with my AA1. The only issue I had was the mic not working, but its now fixed with different drivers.
    Webcam works dandy for me. WiFi is actually very fast, which I wasnt expecting really.

nmesisca, Oct 15, 2008
  3. woody188

Yosser_UK

Mine seems fine touch wood. Yes I've got the battery indicator issue were it turns off, but I can live with that. Running Linpus here.

Yosser_UK, Oct 15, 2008
  4. woody188

renderfox

I just requested a RMA for my AA1 last night, it's hardware issue, webcam died.

renderfox, Oct 18, 2008
  5. woody188

dkaile

Been using mine for the last 2 months now.... no issues at all....

dkaile, Oct 18, 2008
  6. woody188

ivesjd

I bought my 8GB AA1 from newegg. The first two days it was fine. Then the fan got really loud. I RMA'd it to Acer and they sent it back stating no problems detected. So I RMA'd to newegg. Same thing. I'm currently on the phone with acer (Spent the last hour and a half on hold) hoping I can get a replacement.

ivesjd, Oct 23, 2008
  7. woody188

my camera died to, no camera at all on devices!!
    i saw many many post about same issue on other acer models too.
    what´s going on!!!??

also i write this just a minute ago:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5908&p=39105#p39105

so i repeat, what´s going on??

arriba, Oct 28, 2008
  8. woody188

Tamrac

ACER churns out literally millions of Acer Aspire Ones in a very short period of time.... Given the price, w/c is the best in the market so far... w/ the features included. Nothin beats it. So here lies the problem. Quality control will not be as perfect as they would want it. To keep prices low. So there will be problematic units. But to say that the AAO as a whole is problematic is simply NOT true. Me and my peers for example got dozens of AAO's on different occasions and guess what. Not a single one was returned, no hardware problems at all. Just get your units at a reputable store with good return/replacement policies.

If you really go into the issues... most will be user errors and inexperience. Since the netbook niche has a high market capture rate for beginners/novices. Again, due to the low low cost of these netbooks. Cheers....

Tamrac, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question