how not to maximize windows by default

Discussion in 'Linux' started by partiklehead, May 4, 2009.

1. partiklehead

partiklehead

Hi,

How can I make certain programs NOT maximize windows on startup in the otherwise impressive 9.04 UNR? This feature is specifically useless with VLC (shows fullscreen controls on top of the video output), some dialog boxes in other apps, etc.

Pidgin does not maximize by default and is just a plain "loose" window, so there must be a way...?

thank you!

partiklehead, May 4, 2009
  2. partiklehead

zaphod

I too would be interested in an answer to this.

I tried by launching "gconf-editor" (in a terminal) and adding vlc to the exclude_class in apps/maximus. Unfortunately vlc is still maximised on launch.

Once an application is maximised it is possible to unmaximise it with a right click on the application's tab in the top panel.

zaphod, May 5, 2009
  3. partiklehead

rtiangha

You can disable Maximus from starting automatically when you start a session by going to "Preferences" and the "Sessions" (now called "Startup Applications" in 9.04) and then ensuring that Maximus isn't checked. However, applications will then launch normally and you lose the functionality for not having the top window bar disappear even when you manually maximize a window.

rtiangha, May 6, 2009
  4. partiklehead

partiklehead

After zaphod pointed to gconf-editor I did some experimenting myself and found a solution:

In gconf-editor, go to apps-->maximus and simply tick the "no_maximize" box. This disables maximus from automatically maximizing windows at startup. However, the last window state is remembered, so to get the vlc controls to display properly, unmaximize it when open, resize it, close the program. Next time it should open at the same size you left it.

The same applies for apps that you want maximized, simply do so manually and next time you open it it will remember. This worked for me at least with vlc and firefox, haven't tested any further yet.

Thanks for the help!
    P.

partiklehead, May 7, 2009
  5. partiklehead

zaphod

Yes, that seems to work.

Well spotted partiklehead.

zaphod, May 7, 2009
Ask a Question