How? Quake1 quake2

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Rustybolts, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Rustybolts

Rustybolts

How do i get Quake 1 and also would like Quake 2 working in Linpus?
    Any replies would be much appreciated :D

EDIT:
    Got quake 1 working
    create a folder say named quake (located anywhere you feel like) download and extract into folder below link
    http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/ ... 081004.zip
    inside quake folder create new folder called darkplaces download and extract below link
    http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/ ... 080808.zip
    inside quake folder create a folder named id1 here you install your quake PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK files.

To run double click on darkplaces-linux-686-sdl file.
    Enjoy! :D

EDIT:
    Quake 2 install is made easy with the following quake 2 installer made available via Loki installers.
    http://www.liflg.org/?what=dl&catid=6&gameid=55&filename=quake2_3.21-r0.16.1-english.run
    To get this file to work it must be enabled in the permissions.
    To do this right click on downloaded file select properties, select permissions tab, There should be a ticky box next to the word "program" this enables the file to run.
    The installer will install either the shareware version or full version (cd needed).
    For the time being i have installed the shareware version as i don't have cd player You may be able to place full version files in the folder created for shareware version , i don't know i haven't tried this yet.
    Once installed open newly installed Quake folder and right click on quake2 file. Select properties and open permissions tab enable ticky box near the word program, this will enable the program to run. Double click to run.
    Game opens inside a window for full screen, select in game video settings change the driver to software sdl and apply
    Enjoy !

Rustybolts, Dec 9, 2008
  2. Rustybolts

jvr

I dont know who to make these work but it would be great to get some of these older shoot'em ups going :)
    I would like to try getting UT 2003 < going, not to sure how well 2003 will be handled but the earlier ones should be fine i recon :)
    But i'm still working on the duel boot, seems to keep limpus and get XP on there isnt to easy for a linux noob :p

Anywho, here's a reply :)

-Jvr

jvr, Dec 9, 2008
  3. Rustybolts

Rustybolts

Unreal Tournament has native linux install on the cd., so shouldn't be too hard.
    Anyway thanks for the semi-related reply......I think! :|

Rustybolts, Dec 10, 2008
  4. Rustybolts

Rustybolts

Got quake 1 working
    create a folder say named quake (located anywhere you feel like) download and extract into folder below link
    http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/files/darkplacesengine20081004.zip
    inside quake folder create new folder called darkplaces download and extract below link
    http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/files/darkplacesmod20080808.zip
    inside quake folder create a folder named id1 here you install your quake PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK files.

To run double click on darkplaces-linux-686-sdl file.
    Enjoy! :D

Rustybolts, Dec 10, 2008
  5. Rustybolts

Rustybolts

Just Quake 2 to solve now, there are linux engines available. Not sure which one is best or how easy any of them are to use.

Rustybolts, Dec 11, 2008
  6. Rustybolts

Rustybolts

Rustybolts, Dec 15, 2008
  7. Rustybolts

LittleBigPhil

u can get quake 3 arena through the package manager built in on linpus

LittleBigPhil, Jan 10, 2009
  8. Rustybolts

Rustybolts

Quake 3 is multiplayer, Quake 1 and 2 are good single player games. Quake 3 is a demo a much better full game using the same engine is Open Arena also available in Add or Remove software list.

Rustybolts, Jan 10, 2009
  9. Rustybolts

woogal

woogal, Jan 10, 2009
  10. Rustybolts

burgsturbler

Can anyone help out with step-by-step instructionson what to do with this download? I've only just started out with Linpus and need some pointers. Please? :)

burgsturbler, Jan 12, 2009
  11. Rustybolts

Rustybolts

http://www.liflg.org/?what=dl&catid=6&g ... nglish.run
    I had seen this installer before,i downloaded it previously and nothing happened when i tried to open it, and so promptly deleted it. I have tried it again after you suggested the file and have discovered the error of my previous encounter. To get this file to work it must be enabled in the permissions.
    To do this right click on downloaded file select properties, select permissions tab, There should be a ticky box next to the word "program" this enables the file to run. :oops: duh!
    The installer will install either the shareware version or full version (cd needed).
    For the time being i have installed the shareware version as i don have cd player You may be able to place full version files in the folder created for shareware version , i don't know i haven't tried this yet.
    I will edit my first post with how to install and setting up full screen later.

Rustybolts, Jan 12, 2009
  12. Rustybolts

burgsturbler

Thanks Rusty, I appreciate the help!

burgsturbler, Jan 13, 2009
  13. Rustybolts

rotor

i recompiled sdlquake2 to support 1024*600 resolution, works fine on my A110L. it runs best with the software driver, but i prefer playing it in openGL with dynamic lights disabled (cl_lights 0). i haven't figured out how to get the sound to work, but I can do without.

in quake3/enemy territory you can set

r_mode -1;r_customwidth 1024;r_customheight 600
    vid_restart

and you'll have the right resolution. i got truecombat: elite to run without problems (512*386 in window mode), performance could be better, but it's playable on smaller games. half of the fun is getting it to work. vanilla quake 3 runs smooth as silk.

rotor, Jan 19, 2009
Ask a Question