How to : a good start with SSD (first things to do w/ AAO)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by hpfx, Dec 10, 2008.

1. hpfx

hpfx

here is a quick how to avoid pitfall and perform important operation to save your SSD.
    sorry for my english.

to perform these commands, open a terminal (alt-f2, type "terminal", and run)

three first tips are dedicated to SDD, and the three last to common settings, I hope it can help.

1) increase SDD performance
    Code:
    sudo mousepad /boot/grub/grub.conf
    add elevator=noop at the end of kernel line.
    Code:
    kernel /boot/bzImage ro root=LABEL=linpus vga=0x311 splash=silent loglevel=1 console=tty1 quiet nolapic_timer elevator=noop
    2) save your SSD : use SDHC instead of SDD (right slot)
    Code:
    sudo sed -e'63s/mfs/tdp/;99s/append/prepend/' -i.1 /etc/aufs.act
    now SDHC card have higher priority than SSD.

3) save your SSD : discourage swapping
    if you have 512MB, you may want to try to avoid swap usage.
    Code:
    sudo mousepad /etc/sysctl.conf
    add vm.swappiness=10 at the end.
    you may be more agressive with value 1.
    now reboot.

4) make update optional
    Code:
    sudo sed 's/Critical/00000AA1/;s/Optional/00000AA1/' -i.bak /usr/bin/onlineupdate
    before trying to update anything, please note that NetworkManager update is known to be crappy. do not update it.

5) run live update
    But do not check networkManager, previous tip allow you to unmark entries in the list.
    FYI, I checked : wireless driver, xfcedesktop, update remover, keyboard layout and Power center.

6) enable advanced menu
    Code:
    xfce-setting-show
    clic on desktop, mark "show desktop menu on right click", close.

these 6 operations are a good start, that should be ever performed to my POV.

these information have been collected from many source, this forum, macles blog...

hpfx, Dec 10, 2008
  2. hpfx

markh

What precisely does 3) do?

markh, Dec 10, 2008
  3. hpfx

rbil

4. hpfx

markh

Cheers. If I understand that right, "swappiness" is the tendency to swap data out from physical RAM to the SSD/HD, where lower=less swapping. This has the pro side that more of your apps data is in physical RAM, ready for fast response, and the con that less RAM is free at any one time. So if you suddenly demand a large chuck of RAM to do something, and it doesn't have that amount free, there's a whole chunk of swapping suddenly needed to respond to your request.

That's quite interesting, because right now I have about 140MB of RAM free, and it's used 96k of swap. From experience, if I loaded up a few more things, it might use about 100MB of swap, but still have RAM free. So I'm honestly not sure if this mod is a good idea or not - has anyone else tried and tested it?

markh, Dec 10, 2008
  5. hpfx

hpfx

Code:
    sysctl -a |grep swappiness
    gives you the value you use, default is 60.
    as SSD is not like HD, 60 is not good to avoid write cycle, to my point of view.
    I had also few swap while I had free RAM.

now, with 10, it's better for me.
    I've less often swap.

but of course if i need 700MB, i will have 200MB of swap, there is no magic ;) .

hpfx, Dec 10, 2008
Ask a Question