How to Access the AAO RAM Socket

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by hmraao, Sep 3, 2008.

1. hmraao

sideways

You should test the ram using something like memtest86+, that will tell you for sure whether the memory is good.
    If you have LInpus Lite then you can install memtest86+ as follows
    Code:
     sudo yum install memtest86+
    sudo yum update grub
    sudo grub
    grub> root (hd0,0)
    grub> setup (hd0)
    grub> quit
    now edit /boot/grub/grub.conf, remove the hiddenmenu command and increase the timeout to 10 secs, and then add a stanza for memtest86+,
    Code:
    default=0
    timeout=10
    #splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    color=green/black

title Default Kernel Aspire One
            rootnoverify (hd0,0)
            kernel /boot/bzImage ro root=LABEL=linpus vga=0x311 selinux=0 splash=silent loglevel=1 nolapic_timer
            initrd /boot/initrd-splash.img

title memtest86+
           rootnoverify (hd0,0)
           kernel /boot/memtest86+-1.70

reboot and use the cursor keys to select memtest86+ at the grub menu. Let it run for half an hour or 1 complete pass, if no errors then your ram is good.

sideways, Sep 23, 2008
  2. hmraao

jammer

Great guide, I used the Crucial RAM I had spare after I upgraded my Macbook.

All done withing 30 minutes. :D

jammer, Sep 23, 2008
  3. hmraao

jtktam

i would return the memory, we used that here in a few AA1 and it works fine

-joe

jtktam, Sep 23, 2008
  4. hmraao

caho

How much more heat does 1gb extra produce? How about fan noise?
    Thanks

caho, Sep 24, 2008
  5. hmraao

cicatrizdare

So, I tried this, and unfortunately stripped the hell out of the lowermost screw on the last set of screws that needed to come out. There was no way that I could find to get behind the board so I'm gonna take it to best buy and see what they can do. :oops:

cicatrizdare, Sep 26, 2008
  6. hmraao

kubel

Just an FYI, it's illegal (at least in the US, but I'm fairly certain the EU has a similar law) for Acer to void the warranty due to consumer upgrades or modifications. They only way Acer can void the warranty is if you have caused damage to the system AND are expecting Acer to fix what you broke. The same law applies to all warrantied purchases (cars, computers, appliances, etc...). It's to prevent companies from forcing consumers to only make repairs or upgrades through their repair facilities.

So you can upgrade the memory without fear of voiding your warranty. Just don't break anything in the process :).

kubel, Sep 30, 2008
  7. hmraao

sXericerider

Hey i just messed up with the upgrade when i did it now the ssd does not read and i cant boot. the bios works but it doesnt recieve the ssd and it doesnt show up. also when i tried to recover the aao it right when it got to the copying data part it just restarted is there anything i can do now. Im very disappointed because i just got this laptop last week and now i just busted it i guess. any advice would help. i hoped to hear from somebody soon.... :cry:

sXericerider, Oct 2, 2008
  8. hmraao

pommy

Which model are you upgrading?

Does it work without the RAM?

pommy, Oct 2, 2008
  9. hmraao

sXericerider

ok i think i got it now the cable that was connected from the ssd to the motherboard was a bit loose. after trying to fix it after a while it booted probably every 1 out of 4 times so i knew that it was trying to read it. i opened it up one more time and then unplugged it and plugged it back in. so far so good. just goes to show that when you do the upgrade to always make sure that all the cables and latches are secured. ;) im just happy my AAO is alive and kicking again :mrgreen:

sXericerider, Oct 2, 2008
  10. hmraao

pommy

Glad to hear it! :p

pommy, Oct 2, 2008
  11. hmraao

nowis

Thanks for the manual hmraao, it' took me about 2 hours for the upgrade, i have a HDD version, and like in earlier posts, i had a problem with 1 screw, the one in the upper right corner, it was so tight that was imposible to remove, i manage to change the ram module from 512 to 1 Gb without removing the motherboard and not damaging it.

Everything works fine, I use a Crucial ram, no problem with large rar files, but i'm no able to feel any performance improvements

bye

nowis, Oct 9, 2008
  12. hmraao

raffaele

Many thanks from me too, i followed your step-by-step manual with success. :)
    I can see 1.5 GB of ram but for me too there is no noticeable speed improvement (windows=linux) :shock:

raffaele, Oct 19, 2008
  13. hmraao

frosterrj

Thanks for the tutorial...i had a 512 MB stick laying around (samsung 667 mhz) so I though i'd throw it in..... And the BIOS sees it, so now I've got a spiffy 1mb for Intrepid/Virtual Box/Tiny XP. I'm golden now.... :D :D

Only one comment: ZIF SUCKS big donkey dicks! That has to be the wost connection to use.....ever....I thought I would never get my keyboard and touchpad connected back!

Oh, only had to grind one screw off because it was on so tight my screwdriver rounded out the hole - and I was using the tiny watch repair type - it was screwed in so tight.

This machine could really use a little redesign to make it a little more friendly to play with.

Thanks for the PICS and the instructions.

Robert

frosterrj, Oct 31, 2008
  14. hmraao

Kfoo

Nice one! Great Post :D

a few print outs, 30 mins and job done!

Love this little machine, shame the design isnt play friendly :shock:

Keep up the good work dude

Kfoo, Nov 11, 2008
  15. hmraao

ABSDoug

I've added a gig of RAM to my AA1. Was not really tough. Only had to drill out 1 screw.

ABSDoug, Nov 17, 2008
  16. hmraao

everest

keyboard troubles

Thanks to this guide, I successfully installed a 1gb stick of Crucial memory. Boots up fine.

However... when I went to replace the keyboard, I noticed that the three clips near the top of the keyboard will not click in to hold the keyboard in place. I took it back off and looked at it, and it appears that there is nothing in the case to clip into the sockets in the keyboard. I've tried pressing, pressing hard, trying to use a credit card, etc. but nothing works. Has anyone else had this problem? I haven't been able to find anyone who has or a possible solution. Could it be possible that I broke off the clips when I pressed them in with my credit card to remove the keyboard? I looked around, and I had no small plastic pieces laying around. I'm not sure what the problem is. The keyboard still works, it's just a little springy - just enough to be annoying when I'm using the upper keys.

Any thoughts?

Thank you all.

everest, Nov 18, 2008
  17. hmraao

goofball

Re: keyboard troubles

remove the top cover and look on the back of it, you should be able to put 2 of the 3 clips back out. The left-most clip cannot be reached as it is blocked by the LED light cover

goofball, Nov 19, 2008
  18. hmraao

JimK

A lot of people are saying to use a smaller screwdriver for this screw. I had a problem with it, also, but I was able to remove it with a *larger* screwdriver. Larger handle=more leverage.

My main problem is I had a helluva time with the keyboard clips. I think at least one of them (the one above the F8 key) hasn't popped back out, so my keyboard is a little loose. And I popped off the F8 key and had a really tough time getting it back on tight. But so far it hasn't popped off, so maybe I got it right. I scraped a little black paint off above the key, but it's barely noticeable.

It took me a couple hours (mainly because of those pesky keyboard clips) and I was scared that nothing would work when I got it back together, but so far so good.

JimK, Nov 19, 2008
  19. hmraao

Jerm78

Thanks very much for this excellent guide. I would probably have destroyed my machine if I tried to figure it all out myself. Thanks to you I now have 1.5 GB of RAM and a 320 GB hard drive in my One. :D

By the way, you know that little silver screw that you recommend a #0 Phillips for? Well, I tried every size Phillips from #000 to #2 with little success and eventually figured out that a 1.5 mm flathead works the best. You might also want to mention that you should only push in the keyboard clips enough to pop the keyboard free. I misunderstood your directions and pushed all three all the way in. It was quite a task to maneuver them back through the slots.

Also, does anyone know how to successfully clone a drive? I tried cloning my 120 GB drive to my 320 GB USB drive and it seemed to work fine but when I installed it in the One it wouldn't boot. I had to reinstall Windows and all my applications, etc.

Jerm78, Nov 19, 2008
  20. hmraao

Jerm78

Re: keyboard troubles

If you did what I did, you pushed the clips too far in. I had to work at them from the backside with a screwdriver to get them to poke back through the slots. It was a pain but I eventually got them all back through. Good luck!

Jerm78, Nov 19, 2008
Ask a Question