How to Access the AAO RAM Socket

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by hmraao, Sep 3, 2008.

1. hmraao

Branny

3 Minor Problems

Thanks for the guide. Just done this myself this afternoon. Took a couple of hours - the diagrams fir the screws was invaluable. RAM shows us fine. Tested all keys, ports etc and everything works fine. 3 minor probs for me:

1) Got all the sticky on one of the feet tangled up. EDIT: Double sided carpet sticky tape seems to be exactly what has been used and works a treat (cheap as chips from DIY store).

2) I broke the keyboard clip on the top right. Not much I can do about that (did anyone else break and has it caused any issues?)

3) Keyboard seems to be a bit 'springy' / 'bouncy' when typing, as if its a little detached underneath. Of course, it isn't attached underneath so the effect may always have been there?? Can anyone advise if theirs is like this?

Thanks
    B

Branny, Jan 3, 2009
  2. hmraao

davidjs_uk

Hi everyone, great post, thanks for the help. I have a few questions.

My AA1 is a 120 gig ex-linux now Windows XP machine. I installed 1gig in addition to the 512mb it came with, the memory was from Crucial but isn't being recognised by the BIOS or Windows. The module was a 1GB PC2-5300.

In addition to this, I stupidly followed the Crunchgear video for upgrading and the black clip for the keyboard has come off, is there an easy way to attach this? I'm using sellotape at the mo, and several keys aren't working.

The last problem is that the keyboard hasn't fully clipped back down, the middle clip on the monitor side is recessed, I'm guessing to remove the chassis so I can poke it back through?

Thanks for your help in advance everyone.

davidjs_uk, Jan 7, 2009
  3. hmraao

oedo

I've nothing much to add to this thread but wanted to thank the OP for such a concise guide. I followed it to the letter and had everything done perfectly in 4 minutes. Knowing about all the potential little problems before tackling the job makes such a difference.

FYI the memory I bought was 1gig of PC2 5300 from Crucial and it appears to work just fine.

oedo, Jan 12, 2009
  4. hmraao

AwesomeSauce

Guide was great, but I got the whole thing where all of my archives are corrupt?!? I'm using a 1GB pc2-5300 kingston. Is there a fix?!? :?

Edit: Well apparently getting new wireless drivers fixed the problem!! :D Hope that helps anyone!!

AwesomeSauce, Jan 13, 2009
  5. hmraao

gheek

Thanks for this great guide! I would say, when following it step-by-step and with proper tools and enough time to concentrate on each phase, this should be no difficulty even for somebody who hasn't opened a computer before. Everything to be considered is clearly pointed out. Good work.

I have opened some laptops before and this took me about 45 minutes, running fine with a Corsair ValueSelect VS1GSDS667D2/EU.

gheek, Jan 15, 2009
  6. hmraao

mackin

Thanks for the guide, Just managed to upgrade my Acer to 1.5GB using a 1Gb Stick bought from Crucial.

Mike :)

mackin, Jan 22, 2009
  7. hmraao

rubberglove

thanks a bunch for the guide!

I had one screw on the interface board that I just couldn't budge (it was starting to 'wash' the screw-head, so I gave up).

But I managed to add the ram by just angling up the main board to access the memory slot.

rubberglove, Jan 22, 2009
  8. hmraao

Rohaq

Gah, some of these screws are really in there! Any tips of getting the ones under the battery out? :p

Rohaq, Jan 26, 2009
  9. hmraao

gheek

For me, it helped replacing the tiny watchmaker tools I had with something with more "grip": I bought a screwdriver set with a big handle - gave me a lot more torque to apply without being scared about damaging the screws. There was not a single screw in there I couldn't easily open, while with the tiny tools I already had problems with the ones on the outside. I used the Ph0 for the majority of the screws and Ph00 for the single smaller one inside.

(In pictures: I replaced this with this and all problems were solved.)

gheek, Jan 27, 2009
  10. hmraao

Rohaq

I accidentally drilled the screw a bit, so I took it down to my local Maplins to try and get it out. They ended up completely drilling it into a nice, round hole :(

I took it to another computer store, where he managed to grip the screw with a wire cutter and twist it out a little, and found me a spare. He called the guys at Maplins 'complete muppets', and I agreed.

Long story short, 1.5GB, woo! Thinking of getting an Intel wireless card next: The Atheros has issues with my university's wireless network.

Rohaq, Jan 28, 2009
  11. hmraao

harj

I've got the exact same problem, bought 1gb from Crucial - not recognised, and now the keyboard wont clip back into place! help!!!

harj, Feb 6, 2009
  12. hmraao

teh_qube

you have probably either not put the motherboard back into place very well. check top left where the power supply is
    or when you were screwing everything back down before you put the daugherboad you put a screw someplace it was supposed to go after the daughterboard was placed causing it to bulge.
    or you havnt clipped the chassis back together correctly
    or the ribbon cable has folded somewhere onitself
    or is as simple as taking it appart and putting it back down..(the keyboard) although i would reccomend just take the aao apart and put it back together again just incase any of the above has happened..

what crucial did you buy?

did you read this list?
    viewtopic.php?f=55&t=4742

teh_qube, Feb 6, 2009
  13. hmraao

harj

I've got the crucial memory thats on the list, guess I will have to take it apart again. Any ideas as to why the keyboard does not click into place, it seems the clips you initially push in are stuck 'in'.

harj, Feb 6, 2009
  14. hmraao

teh_qube

what did you use to get it open?

teh_qube, Feb 6, 2009
  15. hmraao

harj

credit card and flathead scewdriver

harj, Feb 6, 2009
  16. hmraao

tzm_oasis

Very good guide. My model is hard drive model and seems have less components to remove.

tzm_oasis, Feb 7, 2009
  17. hmraao

teh_qube

i was just thinking that if you applied too much force with the screwdriver you could have bent it there pemenantely. does it bounce back to its original position if you remove the keyb?

teh_qube, Feb 8, 2009
  18. hmraao

Arsey

Just like to say thanks for this guide, followed it and it all went perfectly first time. Now typing this on my AAO, 8GB SSD, 1.5GB RAM :D

Arsey, Feb 17, 2009
  19. hmraao

facelessone

I upgraded to 1.5Gb of ram using this guide. I only had problems with upper left plastic holding the keyboard (the one under the info led's). The keyboard is held by the 2 remaining and still working great. Ram I upgraded is 1Gb kingmax 667. I'll add it to compatible ram list. Cheers

facelessone, Feb 19, 2009
  20. hmraao

bobl

Thanks for the how-to, it worked perfectly!

I ordered the Crucial 1GB 667Mhz (CT12864AC667) that's on the list from Newegg, and it was recognized correctly on the first boot. Opening the case was easy (I do something similar for a living) but you have to be really careful on how you replace everything on reassembly. I had the speaker wires going on top of the right trackpad button, so I had to open it up again to fix that.

Certainly feels snappier with the extra 1 GB in place, even with the almost-stock-well-not-really Linpus. I have yet to make up my mind about the replacement distro, but with the extra RAM, my choice is getting better.

Thanks again for a very well layed-out guide!

bobl, Feb 26, 2009
Ask a Question