How to Access the AAO RAM Socket

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by hmraao, Sep 3, 2008.

1. hmraao

abar121

Thanks for the guide.

Would echo the comments about using a credit card to free the keyboard, couldn't be much more simple.

Using Samsung 1Gb PC2-6400 (800), as it was cheaper. Works great. :D

abar121, Feb 28, 2009
  2. hmraao

sean808080

thanks for this guide. it was very helpful. i've never taped screws to a graphic before but I can say it was a good thing to do!

replaced the network card with a dell 1390 while I was in there. love running macOSX on this thing.

cheers.

s

sean808080, Mar 6, 2009
  3. hmraao

Dalhedaren

Thanks for the guide, it really helped me. I trashed the keyboard though :p Those little keyboard retaining clips is really fragile it seems :(
    Do anyone know where I can get a new case lid?

Dalhedaren, Mar 12, 2009
  4. hmraao

teh_qube

if you go to the parts section of the forum or the sell/trade section there is a guy who supplies all the parts for the AAO if im not mistaken

teh_qube, Mar 12, 2009
  5. hmraao

jono400

Just had a mate off mine install the ram upgrade to my little acer aspire one, only thing is that now the wifi appears to be not working, being that this has only happened since opening up the casing to instal the ram wonder if there is a simple solution to this problem that I can pass onto him ?? should add that there are no lights on the wifi sowing eitehr or does the lights only show when the wifi is actually connected and online ??

jono400, Mar 13, 2009
  6. hmraao

jono400

Suppose it helps if you remmber to turn the little switch on underneath the wifi status led :oops:

one thing thou, can anyone confirm if this switch I am referring to actually moves from one side to the other and stays there or is it just a case off sliding it once and its wifi enabled , slide it again and wifi is disabled ?? ask this becuase although my switch works 100% in turning the wifi on/off the switch just slides across and does not actually stay across.

is this normal, cant remember what it was like before ??!! come to think off it it must have been on when I first bought the acer as certainly did not even know it was there !!

anyone advise ??

jono400, Mar 14, 2009
  7. hmraao

sirbendy

confirmed - it's a slide jobbie that springs back. :)

sirbendy, Mar 24, 2009
  8. hmraao

bobbybeegood

Hello All.. I just did the RAM socket up grade today & all went amazing simple. With the exception of the ZIF clamp that holds in the keyboard ribbon to the board. Needless to say, it cracked on re-install & the key board is now not functioning. I have tried to tape it securely but to no avail, the keyboard is dead. I am using the virtual keyboard in windows, with is ok, just slower than I am used too but usable. Other than replacing the motherboard or re-solder a new connector, any other thoughts? Thanks DAVE

OBTW, the ram upgrade was truly noticeable in the performance. But I don't know about the loss of the keyboard?

bobbybeegood, Mar 26, 2009
  9. hmraao

JimK

You can probably buy a new clamp. In the meantime, you could use a usb keyboard. I know that's not desirable for portable use, but it shouldn't be too cumbersome with the right table/desk setup.

JimK, Mar 26, 2009
  10. hmraao

bobbybeegood

Actually Jim, I found a micro - mini USB keyboard on ebay that will fit into the "well" where the old keyboard was located. I think I will take out the original keyboard & drop this one right in the same hole. It's not a great solution but a usable one for now. I wasn't real fond of the Acer keyboard anyways! ha ha ha. :lol: At $250, I had already determined that if the acer last me a year, then I would have gotten my monies worth out of it. so... we'll see....???????? Thx for the response tho!

bobbybeegood, Mar 26, 2009
  11. hmraao

canada2005

Many Thanks for this guide! Just finished up my upgrade with 1GB stick. Took about 30 minutes total and works great. Used Kingston 1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 66Mhz (# KVR667D2S0/1GR) :D

canada2005, Apr 5, 2009
  12. hmraao

colouny

Hi, Maybe i have to say "I am sorry for being dumb", but i have one question. I have AOA150 with 1gb RAM form factory. now my question : Do i have to buy 1GB of ram to replace the 512 MB module which is already installed. Or i my RAM Slot is empty and i have just to isntall 512 module?
    Thanks for reply. :?

colouny, Apr 14, 2009
  13. hmraao

hmass

Thanks. Excellent guide, upgraded successfully in less than 30 minutes. Photos showing screw locations most helpful.

hmass, Apr 14, 2009
  14. hmraao

JimK

Unfortunately yes you have to pull out a perfectly good 512 MB chip so you can install a 1 GB to get 1.5 GB total. I don't know if it's worth it. I have the 110L, which came with just 512 MB, so I had an empty slot so I was able to get a full GB upgrade.

JimK, Apr 14, 2009
  15. hmraao

colouny

Thanks, this was just what i needed.

I i have to mention that this is perfect guide! Thanks.

colouny, Apr 15, 2009
  16. hmraao

LadyK

What kind of ram is everyone using?

LadyK, Apr 27, 2009
  17. hmraao

garrettp

EXCELLENT. Perfect to be exact.

If you want, edit the post, send me the info and I will start a web page so this info does not get lost. This is excellent.

I just upgraded my AA1 to 1.5gb and threw in a Samsung SLC SSD 1/8" drive and also made a copper heatsink. I also drilled holes on the bottom of the laptop for better cooling.

Well, let me know if you want me to start a webpage for this and I will give you full and complete credit. Then you simply only need to link to the page. I could also host the pics for you too if need be.

check out my 12mp images of the AA1 HERE.

garrettp, Apr 27, 2009
  18. hmraao

Oystein

Duh.

I tried opening my Aspire 1 today, but one of the screws under the battery was stuck so hard that the head of the screw got ruined without yielding :(

Blah.

Oystein, May 5, 2009
  19. hmraao

lee_s

Absolutely brilliant guide !

Instructions very clear and actually took the stress out of carrying out the upgrade.

Thanks!!!!

lee_s, May 8, 2009
  20. hmraao

wrecks17

Thanks for the help. Took about 15 minutes.

wrecks17, May 15, 2009
Ask a Question