How to configure EWF ?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by margol, Mar 11, 2009.

1. margol

margol

I made all recommended tweaks and hacks to run Win XP on 8GB SSD, besides EWF. Now it runs, but still far away fromthe desired. I would love to try EWF as the most radical tool, but, unfortunately, I did not succeed to find any reasonably detailed step-by-step instructions of how to configure it. If somebody has a link or could write here the instructions starting from the very beginning (what is it Windows embedded, how to get it ?, etc) many happy owners of AAO 110 would become even happier. THANX !

margol, Mar 11, 2009
  2. margol

MickMcGeough

First, follow the directions in this post:
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=833#p5971

- Then, go to a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd) and type "ewfmgr C: -enable"
    - Then, make sure that "ewfmgr C: -commit" is being automatically executed every time the machine is booted. I have it in a batch file in my startup folder, which is fine for a single-user system (check out msconfig startup options or group policies for a "better" solution - search the thread in the link above).
    - reboot and be amazed :)

Keep in mind shutdown will be slower, and don't do any large installations/downloads/file copies with EWF enabled. (Execute "ewfmgr C: -commitanddisable -live" at the command line to write the cache to the disk and do your downloads or installations safely).

ETA: the 2nd step (ewfmgr C: -commit) isn't necessary for everyone, but if it isn't run, nothing will ever be written to the disk that EWF is enabled for. Some people map "My Documents" to another partition (or SD card) and don't care about all the little writes that XP does. You'll get a lightning quick shutdown, and an error saying it wasn't shut down correctly, and Windows will remain in exactly the same state as it was before you enabled EWF.

MickMcGeough, Mar 17, 2009
  3. margol

margol

Thank you so much !!! I am unpatient to try it..., well on the weekend only :(

margol, Mar 18, 2009
  4. margol

margol

I am absolutely amazed !!! It's just too good to be true :D In addition to the main objective of a lightning speed, one gets two more bonuses: all possible viruses are automatically wiped out after a restart (personally, I removed from AA1 my old good Avast antivirus) and your SSD will live very long life without numerous small writings. The only drawback I encountered so far was related to downloading large files. But this can be easily handled by disabling EWF before downloading or installation (better to use another PC with good antivirus for this purpose and just to copy the downloaded file).
    Just add this nice application to monitor EWF and ENJOY your SSD-based AA1 as I do :D :D :D
    http://mydellmini.com/forum/custom-app- ... t4815.html

margol, Mar 21, 2009
  5. margol

Mikeack

Dear all,

EFW is a great utility, but still quite elaborate to install and configure. The good news: there is a much easier way, free, and doing exactly he same. It's called Windows Steady State and it's provided by Microsoft itself. I installed it on my AA0 and it's flying since. Really great. It protects your SSD from being writed (not other flash disk for your data) and it's fully configurable eg when you want another program to be installed.

Try it! download here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect/produc ... state.mspx

The only thing I stil advise:
    - install an extra Gig RAM memory
    - disable virtual memory, and set Windows prefetch to "2" (less prefetching).

Mike

Mikeack, Mar 31, 2009
  6. margol

forumlurker

I tried installing Windows Steady State on Win7, but it fails to install. I get the error message that it is supported only on XP and Vista. How did you get it installed?

forumlurker, Apr 5, 2009
  7. margol

Mikeack

I installed it on WindowsXP. I don't think it's possible on Windows7 yet, since it's beta. Wait till the final version is out; I suppose Microsoft will make a version available then.

Mikeack, Apr 15, 2009
  8. margol

keeztb

The downside of this app is that your SSD needs to be formated in NTFS.

keeztb, Apr 19, 2009
Ask a Question