HOW-TO (detailed) install PidGin

Discussion in 'Linux' started by within, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. within

within

Hi there,

Before installing new softwares, I've tried using acerIM. No joy, can't make any account to connect (MSN & yahoo).

So, I've searched the board and, as far as I can read here, there is no way given to install Pidgin.
    I looked on pidgin website and says only fedoracore7 or below are available.

Right now, my system is up-to-dat, with all fix from acer installed.
    Linpus is based on fc8, and using command line 'yum install pidgin' it stops because of dependencies problems related to fc8.

I tried using the add/remove software (packet manager) but still dependencies troubles; it seems there is no pidgin version compatible with the libpurple available.

On the 4th post of this thread, you will find my hOW-TO to properly install PidGin, with step-by-step instructions and comments to explain why you do this or why you do that :)

cheers,
    within

within, Aug 3, 2008
  2. within

Guest Guest

Guest, Aug 3, 2008
  3. within

within

Re: acerIM does'nt work; HELP me install PidGin

Conrad,

thanks for replying but I've - of course - already tried this. I even posted in this thread to say I've got troubles with dependencies.

I'm still searching for a way...

within, Aug 3, 2008
  4. within

within

Re: acerIM does'nt work; HELP me install PidGin

hi there,

I'm writing now how I did succeed in installing properly PidGin 2.4.3.

1/ status of you repositories:
    First I had problems with package manager (slow) to retreive dependencies. This was due to the fact I did select all repositories. I beleive it is not a good idea.
    so, I have now only:
    fedora
    livna
    updates

to set this (you have to have your xfce desktop menu activated; see how-to here:
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/category/hacks-software/ )
    right click desktop to have the menu, then:
    system --> add/remove softwares
    You're now in package manager ; go to Edit menu --> repositories and select the 3 above.

2/ remeove the OLD libpurple plugin
    In package maanger, go to List tab (a popup window should appear to read the software info), and type "libpurple" without quotes
    once found, then unselect it (a red dahs will appear at the left; then click apply.

3/ install pidgin 2.4.3
    go back to Browse tab (it was only this way it worked for me)
    click application in the left window, then go to graphical internet applications
    click on optional packages
    select pigdin and pidgin-libnotify
    then click close
    then click apply

it will provide you some info about what you have selected to install and some dependencies download requirements: the famous libpurple but a new version.
    after accepting, install will run smoothly and you will have pidgin installed.

I believe it works the same (without step 2 anymore) for other applications.

hope my experience will help,
    within

within, Aug 3, 2008
  5. within

Guest Guest

Do the preinstalled email, contacts, and calendar still work?

Guest, Aug 4, 2008
  6. within

within

No, it seems they don't start.

We just can expect now they update it to take new lipurple lib into account to run.
    Maybe a linux guru could change some of the dependencies link with these apps, but I am not able to o it.

These 3 applications you mention are not useful for me, so I don't care.
    I do understand this might be a problem for some other people.

Maybe try aMSN, uninstalling libpurple might be NOT necessary for this application.

within, Aug 4, 2008
  7. within

Guest Guest

I talked to my linux guru friend and he said that its possible but very complex to get them both working. I don't know if he just didn't spend the time or he thought that I was a noob (which I am) or if its legitimately difficult. I will probably have him show me when I get back to school in a month, but I also expect an update to libpurple by that time. If no update comes by then, I will post a howto.

Guest, Aug 5, 2008
  8. within

fw1962

Thanks for the Information :)

fw1962, Aug 5, 2008
  9. within

janss

Topic moved to the "How to Guides" section

janss, Aug 5, 2008
  10. within

tonyroma27

I unistalled libpurple for pidguin and now I haven't Acer IM. Pidguin doesn't work properly with msn even id it works with other accounts (as googletalk). At moment aspire one has installed lippurble 2.4.x but Acer IM still doesn't work. How can I rescue the old libpurple and IM ?
    I got the liveupdate but I can try without IM.

tonyroma27, Aug 8, 2008
  11. within

Guest Guest

Anyone know of a way to get rid of that sidebar in the IM window of Pidgin that lists the different conversations? If you only have one conversation going it eats up a good chunk of desktop real estate.

Guest, Aug 10, 2008
  12. within

Guest Guest

I figured it out, the option is in Tools>Preferences>Interface (tab)> uncheck tabs

Guest, Aug 10, 2008
Ask a Question