HOW TO : disable autologin

Discussion in 'Linux' started by janss, Jul 24, 2008.

1. janss

Gobsheen

Re: How to disable autologin?

Hi there, I'm an absolute Linux newbie and am struggling a bit. I found the file rc.S and managed to open and make the changes but when I went to save the changes and close the file, I got an error message saying can't find/open the file to save changes. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong/not doing. Any ideas? This same thing happened when I tried to change the Hotmail link (webmail.desktop) to point to Yahoo - I could make the changes but when it came time to save it, the file "couldn't be opened to save changes".

ANy advice would be much appreciated!

Jim

Gobsheen, Dec 14, 2008
  2. janss

janss

Sounds like your problem is with permissions.
    All the system files need to be edited as root (super user), normal users can often read them but not edit/save changes.

You need to open the files on a text editor with the sudo-command from the command line, f.e. "sudo mousepad /etc/rc.d/rc.S".

And I need to warn you also, I have not used Linpus in months, so I'm not sure if some updates have broken the functionality of these settings, so edit them with your own risk.

janss, Dec 14, 2008
  3. janss

Gobsheen

Cheers Janss, will give it a try. Thanks a million!

Gobsheen, Dec 15, 2008
  4. janss

jknights

Worked like a dream.
    One small glitch as I couldnt edit the rc.S directly in the rc.d directory but all I did was to copy to my Documents folder and edit there.
    In fact I made a rc-old.S and a rc-new.S
    Then I logged in as root and then copied them to the /etc/rc.d directory.
    Then I overwrote the old rc.S file using cp rc-new.S rc.S
    When prompted if I wanted to overwrite I said Y

Reboot and it works fine.
    :D :D :D

jknights, Dec 20, 2008
  5. janss

ZexCo

This is great and it works perfect, thanks.

ZexCo, Dec 25, 2008
  6. janss

MobileMan

cant find file rc.S- got the previous one and think I enabled to show hidden files; + what is a good text editor or how does it work? Used nano on Ubuntu terminal before but that doesnt seem to work

MobileMan, Dec 30, 2008
  7. janss

chs1010

ive already posted this somewhere else but i just wanted to make sure i got a response, i tried this and when i rebooted i got to the blue aspire one screen, just before it usually turns on and it did nothing!!! how can i get back in? id rather not have a login screen than a laptop i cant get into

also, i dont wanna reboot the entire system, i have some college work on there :(

chs1010, Jan 25, 2009
Ask a Question