How to Dual-Boot Linux4one and Windows (linux first)???

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by the_TRiB, Sep 5, 2009.

1. the_TRiB

the_TRiB

I just installed linux4one today because linpus was being so buggy it was making me nervous. In fact, I installed L4O on a bit of a spontaneous whim, without even creating a restore USB for linpus yet, but luckily everything went well.

Now, I would like to dual boot windows, and more specifically winFLP. Now I'm assuming the first step to be taken is to create a bootable USB image of winFLP, and then to utilize Unetbootin and Parted Magic to create a total of 4 partitions. But I'm not really sure of the specific steps. I tried googling "dual boot ubuntu windows" and nearly all the instructions were for ubuntu after windows.

The one set for Ubuntu before Windows I found here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot but it isn't exactly detailed, and being a noob to linux, I'm not really sure how to perform the steps. I assume I can substitute a LiveUSB for the LiveCD required, but I don't understand what it means to mount the root partition in the LiveUSB. And after doing that, where would I type the command to restore the boot sector? Would these instructions even work?

Could anyone possibly help me with some more detailed instructions?

the_TRiB, Sep 5, 2009
  2. the_TRiB

melhiore

Just install Linux after Windows. Linux loader will take care for the rest. Remember to install GRUB or Lilo (if any system uses it) to MBR. Boot loader will set up all system on HDD and in most of cases will set Linux first/default. If not you can always change systems order by going to boot loader settings under Linux OS...

melhiore, Sep 5, 2009
  3. the_TRiB

the_TRiB

Gah... I just got Linux4One the way I wanted it. If I create a recovery USB drive of L4O the way it currently is, will I be able to use that to reinstall it after I get winFLP on here? I would assume yes, but I just want to make sure. Better safe than sorry.

the_TRiB, Sep 5, 2009
  4. the_TRiB

melhiore

Never installed L4O on my machine. If I want Linux I always do what I said. Works for me and I believe it's easy way of doing it. I use mainly two distros: Mandriva and Ubuntu and I know both of them are installing GRUB with fully customizable menu. By default Linux is first...

melhiore, Sep 6, 2009
Ask a Question